No announcement yet.

Scythe Mugen MAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With my Scythe Mugen II I had to change my case fan mounting from the inside to the outside...

Comment

Watercooling beats everyone

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
      I've seen many water cooling tests and high end air cooler like this one usually have no problem beating low and even middle end water coolers. Air coolers are also much simpler to install and operate. The only thing I see with water coolers is that they can but not must be more quiet.
      It's not too tall at 160 and not too heave at less than 800 g, not compared to others at least, and today's motherboards have no problem supporting it.
      As for the price I've found it for $58 in Romania and this includes some serious 24% VAT and shipping so it shouldn't be expensive once it reaches newegg and such.
      Not really a Scythe fan but I'd buy it if it's Linux compatible and if I can update its firmware from Linux
      You have never had a true custom built watercooling. So whole your argumentation is useless, because you are daydreaming.
      Watercooled systems beat any air-cooled system till heatpipe-based coolers appear in 2000. Prior to that, the rule was - if your heat amount is more than 200W, then you must watercool. But even itself heatpipe is based on watercooling principle and can't match efficiency of 12mm+ tube! Today, if your heat source is more than 400W, then you really should think about watercooling. Basically, if your heatsink weights more than 600g, its time to do right watercooling.

Ask yourself why most powerful engines in bikes are watercooled? Because its the most efficient method. Some cruisers still rely on air-cooled engine, but then they get either heat problems or engine power limitation. Its same thing.

Ready systems such as from Corsair are a primitive pump, 8mm tube and single 120 radiator - they are joke compared to correct watercooling. Take Liang pump, get 12+ tubbing, get some nice high-flow coolers and good 360 or larger radiator - and one will smoke any air cooler in decreased temperature, increased reliability, decreased noise and dust sucking. The amount of energy watercooling system can transfer from hotspots is many times higher than any heatpipe can ever do and the cool off space is virtually unlimited, as radiator (one or many) can be installed in every place and have any format - inside, outside, on top, on sides, standing somewhere, and be hard-linked or hotplug detachable. The system noise while not completely silent due to the pump (below 20dB), is very quiet and again depends on amount and type of fans present. Btw, one can easily take something like 1080 or tower radiators and create a completely silent system from components where air-cooling would weight a ton and sound like airplane.

There are only three limitation factors where watercooling makes no sense -
      - five or less fans in a case, means amount of air and metal in air-based system is sufficient to keep steady temperature, so why bother
      - one does not want to increase system complexity and increased total cost, this is basically the same why some (but not all) cruiser bikes still air cool the engine - maintenance costs are lower, but it causes heat problems or engine power limitation.
      - price of at least 250$ for a good system is already a barrier for many.

Do note however, that watercooling - even fanless, exists to remove excessive heat from critical parts of the system. That means, the case still needs to be blown by steam of fresh air and have all hot parts covered with heatsinks.

And watercooling is very portable - its a closed loop and provided parts are fixed in their places one looses no mobility compared to air.
      I have no idea where you got that, compared to 1kg aircooling block, watercooling blocks weight 200gr typically, the rest is liquid weight and radiator weight - 500gr + anything - 360 is about 600gr.

Maybe you confuse it with mineral-oil cooling? They are not very portable, but very nice for a very powerful, completely silent, long-run system. Never used those, so cant truly speak if its worth it in long run.
      Last edited by brosis; 14 September 2014, 10:39 AM.

Comment

looks like a total Noctua NH-U14S knockoff

Comment

I've used the Hyper Evo V(IIRC) with my 3930k and 4770 builds. Keeps the 3930k at 40C OCed mildly to c. 4.2GHz.

Tried out a CLC (forget which ATM have to check later) on the fx-9590 build and that works about as well maybe even a little better than the Hyper Evos. Can't really talk about the fan noise as it has an R9 280X w/multi custom HS/fan jobby, plus multiple case fans. That CLC keeps the fx-9590 in the mid-30Cs most of the time, but unfortunately I need to transplant it as while the case that I bought claimed to have space for the radiator they apparently forgot to take into account motherboards being installed, so it's a hury rigged top install ATM. Bought a case from the same mfg as the CLC which was designed to either side mount or top mount the radiator, either of which should work. I say should as while this time the top mounts are OFFSET(design flaw of case #1 dead centered) I don't know if they're offset enough to accomodate mobo + radiator, but I really want to sidemount anyways, so hopefully if the radiator blows up the liquid doesn't flood the mobo/CPU/RAM. (Ah, just checked it's a coolermaster seidon 240M. If it keeps working well, I might just switch to using CLCs as it does appear to work a bit better than the Hyper Evos, especially considering that that fx-9590 has got to be generating a GREAT deal more heat than the 3930k, OTOH temp monitoring on AMDs seems to be a bit of guesswork...)

Comment

What a tiny cooler

Comment

cooler master rip off

Comment

Working...
              X