Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scythe Mugen MAX

Phoronix: Scythe Mugen MAX

If you plan to buy an Intel Core i7 5960X Haswell-E or any other high-end processor, a good heatsink is needed especially if you plan to do any overclocking. In looking at a new cooling option today we're trying out the Scythe Mugen MAX.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Come on Michael, for this price you buy a Corsair H100i WC...

Comment

Personally use a custom water cooling setup cause at those prices why not? Also with heatsinks getting that large, water cooling just seems like a space saver now.

Comment

What case of a coffin do you need for this? Mine zalman aint that large but I still had problems with some cases (simply not enough space to close the case door).
        Also this thing must weight a ton EDIT: 720 gramm is still alot and usual vertical MB placement could be dangerous.
        Last edited by magika; 13 September 2014, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
          What case of a coffin do you need for this? Mine zalman aint that large but I still had problems with some cases (simply not enough space to close the case door).
          Also this thing must weight a ton EDIT: 720 gramm is still alot and usual vertical MB placement could be dangerous.
          161 mm height is standard which can fit into wide cases at least without side fan. 720 gram isn't too much. There are coolers over 1000 gram.
          Last edited by JS987; 13 September 2014, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Is it compatible with Linux?

Comment

In a lot of cases, closed-system water loops like the H100 don't perform that well in partial loads. It tends to do better in maximum load and even then, I've found my Noctua outperforms that H100 in a lot of cases there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                In a lot of cases, closed-system water loops like the H100 don't perform that well in partial loads. It tends to do better in maximum load and even then, I've found my Noctua outperforms that H100 in a lot of cases there as well.
                Llang DDC, 12mm tubing, high-flow cooler and 360 (3x120) or larger radiator will solve all your cooling problems.
                Basically, if you have more than five fans in the case or need more than 120mm fan, then watercooling is the way to go.
                40C and never more afterwards. You can watercool case of any size and there are hot-plug adapters available, allowing to remove cooling component without need to drain cooling liquid.

Comment

water cooling isn't worth it

I've seen many water cooling tests and high end air cooler like this one usually have no problem beating low and even middle end water coolers. Air coolers are also much simpler to install and operate. The only thing I see with water coolers is that they can but not must be more quiet.
                  It's not too tall at 160 and not too heave at less than 800 g, not compared to others at least, and today's motherboards have no problem supporting it.
                  As for the price I've found it for $58 in Romania and this includes some serious 24% VAT and shipping so it shouldn't be expensive once it reaches newegg and such.
                  Not really a Scythe fan but I'd buy it if it's Linux compatible and if I can update its firmware from Linux

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
                    I've seen many water cooling tests and high end air cooler like this one usually have no problem beating low and even middle end water coolers. Air coolers are also much simpler to install and operate. The only thing I see with water coolers is that they can but not must be more quiet.
                    It's not too tall at 160 and not too heave at less than 800 g, not compared to others at least, and today's motherboards have no problem supporting it.
                    As for the price I've found it for $58 in Romania and this includes some serious 24% VAT and shipping so it shouldn't be expensive once it reaches newegg and such.
                    Not really a Scythe fan but I'd buy it if it's Linux compatible and if I can update its firmware from Linux
                    Yeah, the prebuilt liquid coolers are really only good if you have a traveling LANbox, because the amount of weight being supported by the mobo is even lower then a stock cooler would be and in most cases would be bolted on anyways. But for a stationary system a top end air cooler will match them.

Now custom built liquid coolers easily beat even the best air setup due to surface area and mass, the increased mass evens out the temperature peaks and the increased surface area allow you to hold much closer to ambient. But a rig like thi is alsi in the near immbile class due to the size and weight of the setup being a pain to drag around.

Comment

Working...
                    X