Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
    Nope.
    Blatant ignorance, look at the source code dude and take your head out of your ass.

Comment

Will Canonical drop Mir for Wayland as they did with upstart for systemd?

I think they would.

They would at the time the desktop environments supporting Wayland popularize it.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
        Will Canonical drop Mir for Wayland as they did with upstart for systemd?

I think they would.

They would at the time the desktop environments supporting Wayland popularize it.
        My guess it that they probably will at some point, but only after wayland is widely adopted by many other distributions and vendors and is clearly ahead of Mir. That's when Canonical realizes that they actually benefit from switching to wayland, as much of the work will be done for them by others.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
          So as I understand it, if one say wrote an application to run on the future versions of the Steam box, it wouldn't work on Ubuntu, but it would work on future KDE and Gnome Systems.
          As long as your application is written in a toolkit that supports Wayland then your application should work on both X11 and Wayland, assuming you don't use any X11-specific calls.

GTK 3, Qt 5 and Clutter all support both X11 and Wayland.
          If you use X11-specific calls in your application, then it wont work natively on Wayland, but can still work if the user runs XWayland, which is a rootless X11 server inside Wayland.

I don't know if GTK, Qt or Clutter have Mir support, but if they don't, you should still be able to run your X11 applications there, assuming the user runs XMir.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
            So as I understand it, if one say wrote an application to run on the future versions of the Steam box, it wouldn't work on Ubuntu, but it would work on future KDE and Gnome Systems.
            Valve haven't said anything about what display server they will use in the future.
            Today they use X and tomorrow they may use any of Mir, Wayland and X.
            The only one we may guess and be pretty sure of is X.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I don't know if GTK, Qt or Clutter have Mir support, but if they don't, you should still be able to run your X11 applications there, assuming the user runs XMir.
            QT have Mir support and GTK is in the works.

Comment

hm

canonical will use a compatibility layer to use old x apps

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                Valve haven't said anything about what display server they will use in the future.
                Today they use X and tomorrow they may use any of Mir, Wayland and X.
                The only one we may guess and be pretty sure of is X.
                Thing is X11 is low level, and people should not code application software against libx11.

People should code against GTK or Qt, and then the toolkit abstract away the underlying window system or display server.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Thing is X11 is low level, and people should not code application software against libx11.

People should code against GTK or Qt, and then the toolkit abstract away the underlying window system or display server.
                  In an ideal world, no. But in the real world, no toolkit can ever cover all possible use-cases. There will always be a need for applications to target the display server for tasks the toolkit is not able to handle.

Comment

Wayland or mir is just one thing of the journey to making a good distro.

How about getting a less buggy version into libreoffice to the LTS release.

I had Ubuntu 14.04's libreoffice calc spit out the wrong numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-L View Post
                      No, Wayland is a display server protocol that specifies how a display server like Weston has to comunicate with it's clients.
                      You are right in so far that a protocol is just a set of descriptions/definitions but you deny the fact that there is also software named Wayland that implements that protocol. The second sentence on Wayland's official homepage says just that: http://wayland.freedesktop.org/

Comment

Working...
                      X