CD-Sized Image Of BSD-Based TrueOS Released For Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Just toys, not serious stuff. Netflix itself is a single company. Compare their 30% to other companies and we got 1 to 5% like my sources claim.

Soft updates is an only nice feature of BSD file system, but there's nothing special about it. Ext4 has more features than UFS2 and is faster.
    I thought I had read Netflix already had moved to dominating entire US Internet usage and operators tried to get them to pay for it

Comment

Originally posted by jake_lesser,pawlerson,endman View Post
      kpedersen (true name:Karsten Pedersen) is a regular participant in BSD activities (http://dk.linkedin.com/in/karstenlangpedersen).
      This is very funny. The owner of that linked-in seems like an awesome guy. Unfortunately not me. My middle name is Oscar, not Lang and yes, I am half Danish... but not living in Denmark (this is likely where you made a mistake). Your information finding skills amuse me greatly.

My blog however is just as relevant to BSD: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/c.../blogs/karsten
      Last edited by kpedersen; 14 September 2014, 07:43 AM.

Comment

What delightful words from some delightful young men.

Originally posted by jake_lesser View Post
        http://aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/20...sage-dwindles/

@pawlerson
        kpedersen (true name:Karsten Pedersen) is a regular participant in BSD activities (http://dk.linkedin.com/in/karstenlangpedersen). He's a hardcore member of the BSD troll club. So there's no hope to talk sense into him.
        That blog is a cesspool of bigotry, homophobia, racism, sexism, and utter stupidity. I would refuse to use it for toilet paper, let alone read it.

ZFS is not advance, it is significantly better compared to stone UFS and UFS2 and a little better compared to ext2. But compared to BTRFS and EXT4. ZFS is a piece of shit, slow, needs more then 4GB of RAM, corruptible, an scalable, can't complete with embedded devices. Plus ZFS is not a F(ail)BSD advantage. Linus now has it and it works far better on Linux then F(ail)BSD.

Also, UFS2 is a total piece of shit even with soft updates and journalling. It's journelling is nothing to shit compared to EXT4FS.
        ZFS does not require 4GB of RAM. See ryao's work with ZFS on the Raspberry Pi. And ZFS on Linux is a fantastic thing, and it works very well nowadays - but it does not work better than on FreeBSD. By virtue of the OpenZFS project, all ZFS platforms have roughly the same level of support. And as for the 'corruptible' and 'anscalable', that's nonsense.

BSD always steal shit. Remember USL vs BSDI? The stupid BSD fucks at Berkeley thought they could get away with violating USL copyright so they got smashed in the ass at court. UC California then disbanded them due to this blatant academic misconduct causing BSD to become the fragmented mess it is today.
        But they didn't. USL were humiliated. BSD had six files redacted over potential encumbered code; USL had to admit that they had wholesale copied vast chunks of BSD code into their product.

Woe!! Opera is dropping FreeBSD. last time I hear is FreeBSD users mostly use opera. I wonder what will happen now.
        Opera has dropped everything they once stood for - Opera 15 is essentially totally different software. Very few still want it. It was a tragedy, but it happened over a year ago. We've moved on.

No, FreeBSD and ZFS are not fantastic project. All they produce is shitty performance and usability and contribute to fragmentation in the FLOSS community.
        This is flatly wrong, and frankly, no one gives a damn about your 'fragmentation'. We'll work on what we damn well like, and if you don't like it, you can go cry in a corner. Our freedom to work on what we wish will not be taken.

HAHAHA... What a joke, You should see Hammer's performance compared to ZFS, BTRFS, EXT4FS and even EXT2FS. Greg K Hartmann even said Matt Dillion shouldn't waste time making his shitty OS like Linux when He could simply make Linus better. BTW. Good luck with porting Hammer2 to OpenBSD. MadDog Dillion has adopted the Linux/Systemd way of making his shit run on his OS only and run it well.
        HAMMER is kernel code, so porting may be tricky, but it can be done. And yes - HAMMER's performance vs other filesystems is quite good

Actually, that is one reason not to use TrueOS no FakeOS. Systemd is vital to modern system administration. Plus, Linux's networking code far out performs BSD's.
        If systemd is so 'vital', how come people down fine without it for so long? And Facebook disagrees with you on the performance on Linux's networking code.

Just toys, not serious stuff. Netflix itself is a single company. Compare their 30% to other companies and we got 1 to 5% like my sources claim.
        NetFlix is a pretty major player. 30% of US internet traffic at peak time is bloody insane - that's a HUGE quantity! Think on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          If its based off FreeBSD then they have a better scaling network stack then Linux does (for now)
          I keep seeing this, but my own experience completely contradicts the above.
          Any benchmarks to share?

FWIW we have proprietary software that can handle ~120HD/160FD Gbps. DPDK can reach ~200FD Gbps - both using stock Linux kernels.
          Last time we checked FBSD (~8.x) we had issue keeping packet loss to 0 when using multiple ixgbe (10GbE) ports.

- Gilboa
          Last edited by gilboa; 14 September 2014, 11:04 AM.
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            This is very funny. The owner of that linked-in seems like an awesome guy. Unfortunately not me. My middle name is Oscar, not Lang and yes, I am half Danish... but not living in Denmark (this is likely where you made a mistake). Your information finding skills amuse me greatly.

My blog however is just as relevant to BSD: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/c.../blogs/karsten
            It's sad that you ignore some facts. I don't care who you are, but it seems you have some obsession (like few other people here: vim_user and maybe Sergio - the original linker to now famous anti-BSD blog).

Comment

Working...
            X