Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garry's Mod Is At 6 Million Copies Sold, Linux Sales At 28K

Phoronix: Garry's Mod Is At 6 Million Copies Sold, Linux Sales At 28K

Garry Newman announced today that the popular Garry's Mod game has sold six million copies thus far...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Garry's Mod Is At 6 Million Copies Sold, Linux Sales At 28K

Garry Newman announced today that the popular Garry's Mod game has sold six million copies thus far...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc4NTY
    I am actually surprised 28k people bought it on Linux. Given how long it has been out (forever), I think that is a pretty damn good number. Anyone know the average sale price? That could be over $200k, which, I would think makes it more than pay for itself for the port.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
      I am actually surprised 28k people bought it on Linux. Given how long it has been out (forever), I think that is a pretty damn good number. Anyone know the average sale price? That could be over $200k, which, I would think makes it more than pay for itself for the port.
      I agree. $200k is totally worth a port. I doubt the cost of the port will exceed half of this amount.

Comment

This is a silly comparison. When Portal 2 and CSGO come out for linux (and they will) I will not be buying them as I have already bought them for windows. For me the one BIG upside to buying through steam is automatically getting cross platform releases without hassle.

Now when L4D3 comes out and if linux is on par and a same day release as windows then we will see some relevant numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
          I agree. $200k is totally worth a port. I doubt the cost of the port will exceed half of this amount.
          Yeah, and that is assuming < $10 a sale average. Also, the port was probably quite cheap as Valve probably did most of the grunt work on the engine...

Comment

Originally posted by ParticleBoard View Post
            When Portal 2 and CSGO come out for linux (and they will) I will not be buying them as I have already bought them for windows.
            Portal 2 is already out for Linux.

Comment

This game needs a stupid symlink to run since ages and no update fixed it. I don't play the game as I don't know what to do, i just check if it would run.

Comment

I wish Steam would implement gameplay time counters divided by operating system, so each player would see on which OS they played a specific game for how long. Then they should use those counters to see which games are played the most on each OS.

E.g. user bought a game from windows, then played it for 5h on windows, after that switched to Linux and played that game for 20h - this game should be counted as a Linux sale (until the playtime for another OS exceeds that of Linux). The player would see in his profile: playtime: windows 5h, mac 0h, linux 20h, total 25h.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                  I wish Steam would implement gameplay time counters divided by operating system, so each player would see on which OS they played a specific game for how long. Then they should use those counters to see which games are played the most on each OS.

E.g. user bought a game from windows, then played it for 5h on windows, after that switched to Linux and played that game for 20h - this game should be counted as a Linux sale (until the playtime for another OS exceeds that of Linux). The player would see in his profile: playtime: windows 5h, mac 0h, linux 20h, total 25h.

+1 YES

VALVO PLS

... if only steam was FOSS, we could hack this feature ourselves...

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
                    VALVO PLS

... if only steam was FOSS, we could hack this feature ourselves...
                    If it was, you can bet that detection would be played :P

windows 5h, mac 0h, linux 20h, toaster 3h, badger 100h, total 128h.

In other news, badger has overtaken both Linux and Mac in Steam stats.

Comment

Working...
                    X