Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Is Getting Close To Launching On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Is Getting Close To Launching On Linux

Phoronix: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Is Getting Close To Launching On Linux

Valve is finally getting ready to bring Counter-Strike: Global Offensive to Linux!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At last!

Comment

Pretty much the only game I play very actively, so I cannot wait.

One of the "system" they updated last night that was one of the holdbacks was the GUI. They use Scaleform, and the version they used before wasn't Linux compatible.

Comment

I've never played any Counter Strike game, can someone fill me in as to what makes this so popular? Say in comparison to the likes of Battlefield 4 (which I've played 70+ hrs of) and CoD (which I've not played online, but I pretty much know what it's about).

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          I've never played any Counter Strike game, can someone fill me in as to what makes this so popular? Say in comparison to the likes of Battlefield 4 (which I've played 70+ hrs of) and CoD (which I've not played online, but I pretty much know what it's about).
          Counter Strike games require the player to actually be skillful. In the games you listed, even aiming is aided for you by computer.

Edit: Also the games you listen will probably never be ported to Linux. But that is a good thing!
          Last edited by Veske; 11 September 2014, 10:10 AM.

Comment

ya kids will never understand

Comment

You don't respawn after x seconds, but only after the round is over. In competitive mode aka "the real deal", you have very intense 5on5 matches where every player counts and every mistake can be fatal. Pixel perfect aiming, map knowledge, constant thinking about what strategy right now would be benefitial for your team and what move the enemy team will probably do within the next few seconds is essential. You don't spawn with weapons, you need to buy them. The amount of money depends on what you and your team does, and money management is extremely important (e.g., sometimes you don't buy *anything* on purpose, because your team does not have enough to fully equip every teamplayer, and therefore the round is likely too hard and you need to freely give away this round to the enemy team, so that you have enough money to buy the next round). I could go on... it's easy to learn, but there is just so much strategy and thinking involved to play at higher ranks that you just don't see if you have never played the game.

Comment

de_dust FTW!

Comment

Its already purchased and waiting for Ubuntu installation!

Comment

I had a completely opposite experience when trying CS (the original 1.6). I found it exquisitely boring, with every pro player doing the exact same thing every time.

There was no strategy. It was like they had memorized the map from all sides and just pressed buttons with the exact timing they had learned. Each round they camped at the exact same spot, ran the same passage at the exact same time, and so on. The only thing that differed in their play was aiming at moving opponents obviously.

For the life of me I could not see the fun in that.

Comment

Working...
                    X