Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
    finally VGA is gone.
    If they can get rid of some of the other legacy hardware support the SoC would become far more interesting. SATA needs to go for example.

Now only if optical drives would follow suit it'll be possible to have thin and cheap laptops.
    What are you talking about? Optical shave been gone from laptops for some time.
    I'll most likely upgrade on cannonlake. I'm curious if we'll have a sillicon replacement come the 20s?!
    I doubt it. Even if graphene pans out it will likely be in ten years or so. I'm actually expecting another round of clock rate upgrades. We may very well see 5GHz when 14 nam comes.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      It would be very uninformed to by one of these systems and run old slow memory on it. Anybody seriously thinking about DDR3 needs to have their head examined. As you note memory bottle necks will be a huge problem and I fact has been a huge problem with all "APU's" to date. It would be very crippling to implement one of these machines with old RAM.
      Non-K Skylake and Non-Z motherboard will probably support only DDR3 1600 or DDR4 2133
      2133 is only 1%-13% faster compared to 1333 with Haswell

Comment

Digital Restrictions Management

Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
        Please welcome to the world of DRM. VGA was the last mainstream connector that this feature could not be implemented on.
        Well said, Mat2, I was beginning to think that nobody realized it.

"Digital Restrictions Management" is the practice of imposing technological restrictions that control what users can do with digital media.
        There's more in http://www.defectivebydesign.org/wha...ons_management

Comment

Working...
        X