Intel Core i7 5960X Haswell-E On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange valus for amd CPU

Why is the AMD fx9590 slower than the FX-8350 on nearly every test. Since the 9590 has a faster clock than 8350 but othervise its identical I would expect that it would be faster.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjo View Post
      Why is the AMD fx9590 slower than the FX-8350 on nearly every test. Since the 9590 has a faster clock than 8350 but othervise its identical I would expect that it would be faster.
      OMK

Comment

Originally posted by kenjo View Post
        Vrms gets too hot and start throttling, 220w it's too much for normal motherboards.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          Yeah, well, the more the merrier. I guess, anyone spending $300 on a mobo plus a grand on the CPU is probably willing to max out the RAM, so a RAM disk would not be out of the question. What would be the max capacity? 32x4 GB?
          A full kernel compile should fit in < 3 GB, so nothing extravagant necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            A full kernel compile should fit in < 3 GB, so nothing extravagant necessary.
            My kernel tree is more like 11gb after compilation, but anyways I was also day-dreaming half-drooling of having this beast CPU with a large enough RAMDISK to basically have your development env on RAM

I am pretty sure this would make the whole 'compile cycle' a non-issue, when you can compile the kernel, perhaps in what, 5s, without disk overhead?

Comment

Yeah, well, the more the merrier. I guess, anyone spending $300 on a mobo plus a grand on the CPU is probably willing to max out the RAM, so a RAM disk would not be out of the question. What would be the max capacity? 32x4 GB?

http://wccftech.com/samsung-launch-d...memory-sticks/
              I heard the limit was 64GB - someone mentioned that to me because they thought the limitation was stupid (which, it is).

Comment

My kernel tree is more like 11gb after compilation, but anyways I was also day-dreaming half-drooling of having this beast CPU with a large enough RAMDISK to basically have your development env on RAM
                How do you get it that big? Do you have every DEBUG_ option enabled?

I've done distro config builds in a 4gb ramdisk without running out of space, but that wasn't with DEBUG options.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  How do you get it that big? Do you have every DEBUG_ option enabled?

I've done distro config builds in a 4gb ramdisk without running out of space, but that wasn't with DEBUG options.
                  You are absolutely right, I just checked and my uncleaned build trees are around 2gb. I used to have one of the menuconfig options ON on the Debug section, and that was not only taking forever, but also using a lot of disk, and finally creating a huge debug .deb file.

I basically wrote a simple script to compile a vanilla kernel and create .deb's, based on info from the ubuntu wiki. The beauties of having a fully supported CPU (Intel Haswell). I can always run the latest kernel

Code:
                  #!/bin/bash

export CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
                  export CFLAGS="-march=native -O2"
                  export CXXFLAGS="$CFLAGS"

# uncomment this to copy Ubuntu's .config -- only if needed
                  # cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config

yes '' | make oldconfig

# uncoment for a full build
                  # make clean

make -j 8 deb-pkg LOCALVERSION=-mendieta

Comment

http://wccftech.com/samsung-launch-d...memory-sticks/
                    They're c. $800 if you're lucky enough to have a local ucenter...

Considering that I paid c. $500 for a 3930k a few years, it's tempting for the 5960 barring the self destructing mobos...

Comment

Working...
                    X