Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Software 3.14 Will Work On Arch Linux With PackageKit

Phoronix: GNOME Software 3.14 Will Work On Arch Linux With PackageKit

Those running GNOME on Arch Linux should be pleased that with the upcoming GNOME 3.14 release that the GNOME Software application should finally play well with PackageKit's Pacman back-end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Without Gnome Software it is much more difficult to create categories in the overview screen to organize your application shortcuts. So it's really nice this has been added to Arch.

For those sticking with 3.12 for a while you can get this program: https://github.com/prurigro/gnome-catgen and you can create category folders from the command line.

Comment

Wow, Arch has been stuck on PackageKit 7.6 for a while now. Lots of thanks to Richard Hughes for updating the pacman backend of PackageKit. Though, as odd, as it sounds, the Packagekit package in Arch's community repo is about 9 months old!

Also, I believe the APT backend was replaced by the aptcc (written from scratch by dantti the Apper developer in c/c++ instead of Python).
      Last edited by CTown; 09 September 2014, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
        Wow, Arch has been stuck on PackageKit 7.6 for a while now. Lots of thanks to Richard Hughes for updating the pacman backend of PackageKit. Though, as odd, as it sounds, the Packagekit package in Arch's community repo is about 9 months old!

Also, I believe the APT backend was replaced by the aptcc (written from scratch by dantti the Apper developer in c/c++ instead of Python).
        Its older than 9 months isn't it? I was complaining about a severely out-dated PackageKit last year and none of the devs really seemed to care about making sure PackageKit was up to par
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

This should also mean Apper runs nicer under Arch for the KDE folk. I use it a lot to casually install libraries if I don't want to type pacman -Sy and then pacman -S (yeah, that lazy).

The Chakra project has been whole-scale forking pacman because it apparently does not play nice as a package library.

I wonder if packagekit is ever going to get AUR support, though. If it did, it would kill Ocotopi and its ilk since that is really the only reason the DE specific package apps are unusable under Arch.

Comment

I looked up things but still can't understand why I should care about PackageKit when I use Arch. I mean for half decade of using Arch this is the first time I hear about it.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
              I looked up things but still can't understand why I should care about PackageKit when I use Arch. I mean for half decade of using Arch this is the first time I hear about it.
              Either you have a common package backend (packagekit) that all GUI package managers can write against, or you have format-dependent GUIs like Aptitude or Yast.

Gnome / KDE come with their own software GUIs, and use packagekit because it is insanely time consuming to write backends for every distro they run on.

And packagekit support is probably one of the stronger limits on seeing more widespread Arch derivatives used as mainstream distros. The Pacman GUIs are not up to snuff (I think the Gnome based one is pretty good, though) for most end users needs.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                This should also mean Apper runs nicer under Arch for the KDE folk. I use it a lot to casually install libraries if I don't want to type pacman -Sy and then pacman -S (yeah, that lazy).
                Pacman -Sy package

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                  Either you have a common package backend (packagekit) that all GUI package managers can write against, or you have format-dependent GUIs like Aptitude or Yast.

Gnome / KDE come with their own software GUIs, and use packagekit because it is insanely time consuming to write backends for every distro they run on.

And packagekit support is probably one of the stronger limits on seeing more widespread Arch derivatives used as mainstream distros. The Pacman GUIs are not up to snuff (I think the Gnome based one is pretty good, though) for most end users needs.
                  I thought pacman on its own is simple yet powerful enough to suit most people needs to not warrant need of GUI.
                  I still remeber days of OpenSUSE where graphical package manager was overcomplicated and I had a misfortune of using Ubuntu's GUI, which can't tell you what it wants to do or why things have failed.
                  However having used apt-get I can clearly see why most people need GUI when using such distros.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
                    Pacman -Sy package
                    Have fun breaking your system that way.
                    Last edited by blackout23; 10 September 2014, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X