Void Linux Drops Systemd & Switches To LibreSSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    Seriously, what's the deal with covering a distro nobody cares about except its few (or only?) dev(s) created. Is it cheap flamebait for another systemd discussion? Everything in it including its name suggest it's a little amateurish project that won't ever matter.
    I find the LibreSSL aspect way more interesting.

Comment

Drops Systemd
      I still hope to see these words in a news article about Debian someday...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
        The author wrote his own package management system, xbps.
        Thats the one thing that GNU/Linux miss. A new Package Management System.

Comment

Interesting Distribution

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Void Linux Drops Systemd & Switches To LibreSSL

Back in June of 2013 we covered Void Linux as a new rolling-release Linux distribution built from scratch but since then we haven't come across much Void Linux news until a few days ago when a Phoronix reader wrote in about the latest progress with this interesting Linux distribution...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc4NDM
          I looked over the web site for this distro. Very interesting. If I wasn't a big user of Gentoo on my own home servers I would consider this one.

Perhaps I'll setup a test server and try out a firewall setup using this distro. Could be an interesting experiment.

Comment

Void Linux? Who?

Sorry, but I'll stick with Debian. Running strong since 2002, next to OS X.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
              I still hope to see these words in a news article about Debian someday...
              Better fork Debian and maintain your own repository free from your phobias.

Comment

I couldn?t find any forum for this distro. Is there one?

Comment

Despite being a happy systemd user, I approve of this. Yes, it's yet another distro with another package manager, and no, we probably don't need any more of those. But at least it shows effort in coming up with an alternative to systemd. This is much more constructive than the usual 'rah rah rah...systemd is bloated evil....rah rah rah....Poettering is the Devil...rah rah rah....'.

Good luck to all involved I say.

Comment

Originally posted by arrow View Post
                    But, anyway, if we install Gentoo or CRUX and replace OpenSSL, what is the difference?
                    Gentoo will be more flexible. A good example for that is LibreSSL:

Switch from OpenSSL to LibreSSL:
                    Code:
                    layman -a libressl && emerge -1 dev-libs/openssl
                    Switch from LibreSSL to OpenSSL:
                    Code:
                    layman -d libressl && emerge -1 dev-libs/openssl

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                      I couldn’t find any forum for this distro. Is there one?
                      There is the Google Plus community, https://plus.google.com/communities/...00587973059533
                      You can also report issues on the Github pages for the respective Void-related projects: http://www.voidlinux.eu/#src (links to the Github projects there)
                      And the main maintainer and a few other contributors are frequently on IRC: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=%23xbps&uio=d4

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                      Thats the one thing that GNU/Linux miss. A new Package Management System.

I believe the author is writing the package management system mostly for the sake of writing a package management system. But your point is fair.

That said, XBPS is more or less even with APT/DEB and YUM/RPM for features, including automatic dependency management, meta-packages (just install the meta XFCE package and it will pull in a full featured graphical desktop), virtual packages (things like supporting MySQL or MariaDB as drop-in replacements for each other and allowing the user to specify which one to use), RSA signing of packages (to ensure no third party is masquerading as your package repository server), sha256 hash verification of packages (to ensure the packages themselves have not been tampered with), queries equivalent to "yum search" or "apt-cache search", pinned packages (blocking all updates to that package until you type a command to permit the upgrade), pre and post install scripts for each package, forced reinstall of a package you already have, and resuming partial installations.

And like I said before, XBPS is very fast and it makes cross-compiling very easy.

So it may be mostly one developer working on his spare time, but he's fully comfortable with what the most popular packaging systems can do, and he's trying to offer a superset of that in a system that runs even faster.

The only major package management feature that he doesn't have is one that, as far as I know, is package state snapshot and rollback.
                      That's supported by YUM - http://blog.chris.tylers.info/index....on-Fedora.html
                      and I believe supported by the Nix and (defunct?) Conary package managers.
                      Last edited by Michael_S; 10 September 2014, 09:24 AM. Reason: reorder a sentence for clarity

Comment

Working...
                      X