With A New Motherboard, The Core i7 5960X Haswell-E Lights Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40 second compiles is pretty good.

AnandTech is getting about 165 seconds on their compile with a Dual Xeon E5 2699v3 (36 threads + 36 threads). They show "21.7/hour" which works out to 165.9 seconds

Comment

let's hope the "Ultra Durable" Gigabyte lives up to its name!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
        Michael is either lucky or "blessed in some way" to get a refund.

Based on my own experiences in matters like this, the rest of us "proles" would get a wooden broom handle in this matter.
        I was returning it back to NewEgg but in the process of MSI contacted me and wanted the shipment diverted directly to one of their analysis and MSI will ensure I get refunded from NewEgg.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

That giant block isn't the stock heatsink, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by zman0900 View Post
            That giant block isn't the stock heatsink, is it?
            No, I don't believe they have "stock heatsink" for the i7-5960X. The engineering samples (as tested here) regardless never come with a HSF but I believe even for the retail $999+ CPU it still doesn't come with one since Intel expects anyone that spends that much on a CPU to have their own high end cooler or water cooling setup...
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Just for reference Michael, could you do a compile test with a regular 2 or 3TB drive (does anyone have those new 4, 5 and 6TB drives yet?)? Those compile times are only obtainable from SSD's, but it might be worth showing off the differance on this new system. Using PTS, mine was incredibly disparate with a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD compared to a Hitachi 500GB spindle. Not even a fair fight, I know! And dont ask me to find my own openbenchmark links =P
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                Just for reference Michael, could you do a compile test with a regular 2 or 3TB drive (does anyone have those new 4, 5 and 6TB drives yet?)? Those compile times are only obtainable from SSD's, but it might be worth showing off the differance on this new system. Using PTS, mine was incredibly disparate with a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD compared to a Hitachi 500GB spindle. Not even a fair fight, I know! And dont ask me to find my own openbenchmark links =P
                Conversely, raided SSD's.

For shits'n'giggles?

Monster CPU deserve's a monster test regime.
                Hi

Comment

RAID SSDs? Pfft, real men use ramdisks.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    RAID SSDs? Pfft, real men use ramdisks.
                    *shrug* Why not that too. He (or someone) spent a fuck tonne of money on a very high end consumer CPU. Use the bastard. Flog the shit out of it and find out its ceiling. It's not about being practical when it comes to the other components. We want to see the numbers of something the majority of us can't reasonably afford. That's why we come here.

As an off-side, I've often wondered what the server's for compiling binaries are like.
                    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                      We want to see the numbers of something the majority of us can't reasonably afford. That's why we come here.
                      Actually I read this article to see the benchmark results for the *other* CPUs . I couldn’t care less about what a 1000$ CPU can do, I’m not gonna buy it anytime soon…

Compilation results from a traditionnal HDD could be interesting to see at which point it’s not worth it to get a faster CPU because the speed is limited by the HDD… maybe.

As an aside, I don’t find the average power consumption graphs to be very useful. I’d prefer to see performance per Watt or Watt-hour results. I would also be nice to get idle wattage numbers.

And I’d love to see one or two "cpu gaming" benchmarks; maybe some of the usual games but in a very low resolution? Not sure how much the graphic card and drivers would influence the result.

Interesting article anyway, with a nice selection of CPUs.

EDIT: well I obviously commented the wrong article, but I hope you see what I mean .
                      Last edited by stqn; 11 September 2014, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X