Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding The Complicated Debian

Phoronix: Understanding The Complicated Debian

With Debian now being more than two decades old, it has a long history, but a Phoronix reader has tried to make sense of the situation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Jesus Christ.

Comment

The sad part is that Ian and Debra divorced.
      (Look at the heart in the left bottom quarter)

Comment

Does anybody know what software has been used for making the infographic?

Comment

Originally posted by dcmst View Post
          Does anybody know what software has been used for making the infographic?
          Inkscape.

It says so on the left side of the graphic.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            Inkscape.

It says so on the left side of the graphic.
            thank you very much, missed that.

Comment

Debian is one of the greatest Linux distros, mature, stable, i hope they never change their philosophy and became a crappy unstable distro like fedora , ubuntu and etc

Comment

Appears to be a very simplified infographic of Debian.
                Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 08 September 2014, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I do miss full derivatives like nokia's maemo, but also open-embedded and all other ipkg and opkg based distributions.
                  Sometimes I look at package descriptions from openwrt, and my hands just itch because I know what they did wrong. (There were a lot of packages in openwrt which as a description contained the first line of the long description, while in packaging you start with the one-liner, followed by a multiline full description).
                  Anyway, I see now derivatives are more a sample than a full list.
                  A full list would have been awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by dante View Post
                    Debian is one of the greatest Linux distros, mature, stable, i hope they never change their philosophy and became a crappy unstable distro like fedora , ubuntu and etc
                    Unfortunately, IMO, they got considerably worse over the years. Their stable is actually pretty stable, but if you're using old hardware and anything outside of LXDE or XFCE, you're missing out on important features, security updates, and bug fixes. Their release of KDE is heavily outdated, when for the past year KDE has been nothing but translation updates and bug fixes. What do they hope to prove by using an old version? Newer releases are proven to be more stable, so Debian is being kind of hypocritical. Debian, IMO, is good for servers and maintaining consistent environments but makes for a really crappy desktop distro. I feel like if the devs stopped getting so caught up in their idea that old==stable, their testing and unstable releases would be far more reliable. Arch linux uses packages newer than sid and almost never breaks. But I can't go an entire year using a debian testing without being dumped to the command line because they managed to break something.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 08 September 2014, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X