GNOME 3.14 Still Depends On ConsoleKit, More Systemd Still Planned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.14 Still Depends On ConsoleKit, More Systemd Still Planned

Phoronix: GNOME 3.14 Still Depends On ConsoleKit, More Systemd Still Planned

Some plans for the GNOME 3.14 cycle didn't materialize but they're still being developed for future GNOME updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GG

I'm here only for the shitstorm.

Comment

KDE

How will KDE, Xfce, LXDE, Enlightenment and other desktop environments tackle user sessions?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        How will KDE, Xfce, LXDE, Enlightenment and other desktop environments tackle user sessions?
        AFAIK Plasma for X11 will not require logind but Plasma for Wayland will.

Comment

TL;DR : "We, GNOME, did not do what we said we would do, but I will explain how wrong are non-GNOME people on every matter."

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            KDE will also support systemd-based user sessions. Yet, they won't remove the old shell-script way. Furthermore, I found this on the other desktops:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
            Last edited by oleid; 08 September 2014, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Do like the advancements in systemD, even if it's not perfect.

LoginD should be renamed to sessionD or userSessionD or something like that, since it also concerns itself with logout procedures.
              SystemD could use many improvements in behaviour and maybe here and there better names for functions, daemons, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                Do like the advancements in systemD, even if it's not perfect.

LoginD should be renamed to sessionD or userSessionD or something like that, since it also concerns itself with logout procedures.
                SystemD could use many improvements in behaviour and maybe here and there better names for functions, daemons, etc...
                systemd* logind* (Systemd* If starting a sentence in english. See: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/ Spelling)

The rename for logind is also unnecessary since its kind of assumed that whatever handles login would also handle logout, its the same process just in reverse. Also as far as the "many improvements" systemd could use, you'll get a much better reaction if you explicitly state what you don't like. Just off the top of my head I can't think of any daemons that need renames, given they all tend to be (function)+d to denote its function and that its a daemon.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  systemd* logind* (Systemd* If starting a sentence in english. See: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/ Spelling)
                  The source a) starts a sentance with a lowercased "systemd" and b) only says that they find it OK (and they "don't like it either")

Comment

Originally posted by marcoms View Post
                    The source a) starts a sentance with a lowercased "systemd" and b) only says that they find it OK (and they "don't like it either")
                    Do you have any trouble understanding what it says? It seems pretty clear to me.

"Yes, it is written systemd, not system D or System D, or even SystemD. And it isn't system d either. Why? Because it's a system daemon, and under Unix/Linux those are in lower case, and get suffixed with a lower case d. And since systemd manages the system, it's called systemd. It's that simple. But then again, if all that appears too simple to you, call it (but never spell it!) System Five Hundred since D is the roman numeral for 500 (this also clarifies the relation to System V, right?). The only situation where we find it OK to use an uppercase letter in the name (but don't like it either) is if you start a sentence with systemd. On high holidays you may also spell it s?st?md. But then again, Syst?me D is not an acceptable spelling and something completely different (though kinda fitting). "

Comment

Working...
                    X