Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another Linux Distro Trying To Cater Towards Gamers

Phoronix: Yet Another Linux Distro Trying To Cater Towards Gamers

While there's already a handful of Linux distributions trying to cater towards the increasing number of gamers with no real competitive edge over any of the other long-standing, general-purpose Linux distributions (sans SteamOS), there's yet another new one to report on this weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe stop giving them publicity? I don't think that they deserve it.

Maybe stop giving them publicity? I don't think that they deserve it. In fact, they are detrimental to the Linux gaming community. The idea of an OS specialized for a single task makes little sense.

The goals of these distros could just as well be accomplished by a blog post about how to set up one of the popular distros for gaming - in the end, that's all these distros really are - preconfigured existing software without any real infrastructure or dev effort like the popular ones -> except with the disadvantage of being packaged like an operating system.

Which implies inflexibility of all sorts, and ultimately inconvenience for the users - undermining both their own goal, and Linux in a broader sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ClosureSpin View Post
      Maybe stop giving them publicity? I don't think that they deserve it.
      Otherwise slow news day (Sunday), leads to usually very interesting forum discussions, puts the work into perspective (the co-founder emailing me about this thought his distro was good enough that I would be reviewing it and also using it), etc etc.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I think their presentation is more specific than anything. It's just Ubuntu packaged to look like it's more geared towards gaming and as an alternative to Windows.
        I don't see any harm in it. It doesn't split work as they just use Ubuntu packaging.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Otherwise slow news day (Sunday)
          Well, that's certainly more honest about it than most mainstream media...

Comment

I don't think it's completly uninterresting.
            I think it's fine that ppl try to optimise linux to target specific way of using it.
            What's sad is that so far the work done is only about package preinstalled already included anyway in once again an ubuntu derivative.
            It would be great if the devs had actually done some modification to the kernel to make games run faster or build tools for gamers that not exist on linux (yet) (fraps i'm looking at you).
            I wish them good luck.
            I won't install it though.

Comment

As a not-very-related but quite peculiar sidenote, it appears that their webserver is running on Windows. (There's a link at the bottom that takes you to http://play-linux.com/team.aspx)

Comment

I think it's great to promote diversity in Linux distributions. Good job, if they are others out there it's good too. Anyone developing a distribution is putting new ideas and can be use by other and upgraded. That's how open source works.

Comment

Build a distro for gamming?

(_) Lets take gentoo or other build system and compile packages for modern computers with -march=avx, make a suitable xorg-nvidia and xorg-old-catalyst for better drivers suport, build mesa with [...]

(_) Lets make some scripts for vanilla ubuntu to make some tweaks for better gamming, like game-specific issues [...]

(x) LETS USE REMASTESYSTEM AND CHANGE WALLPAPER OF MINT TO MAKE A AWESOME DISTRO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                    As a not-very-related but quite peculiar sidenote, it appears that their webserver is running on Windows. (There's a link at the bottom that takes you to http://play-linux.com/team.aspx)

Comment

Working...
                    X