Steam On Linux Competes To Stay Above 1%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    It's not an issue of game cost. It comes down to several things...

1. Hardware. Most people using Linux are not running good hardware. Look at how many postings on this forum complain about how poorly their cheap and low-end hardware from 2006 performs. Look at how many people are using old and outdated laptop/netbook hardware or desktops that cost $350. You can't game with that level of hardware and the open-source drivers that many Linux enthusiasts insist on using can't keep up with the closed ones.

2. Location, location, location. Many Linux users are in countries that might be second or third-tier in terms of how good the Internet access is and it also goes back to the hardware problem. You can't get good hardware for your money unless you live in the right places like Asia or America. Even Canada gets screwed over!

3. Choice of distro. Not all distros are created equal and there are many differences between Ubuntu and lesser-known distros that are not polished for performance.
    The problem really comes down to one thing and that's being able to play your Windows games. As a gamer myself I would swtich all my PCs over to Linux if I could run my games on it. Not a lot of developers are like Witcher which took the time to port their older games over to Linux. A lot of current games won't either. I don't expect GTA IV to be on linux.

Linux gaming needs Wine to be better, and Wine needs Gallium Nine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      The problem really comes down to one thing and that's being able to play your Windows games. As a gamer myself I would swtich all my PCs over to Linux if I could run my games on it. Not a lot of developers are like Witcher which took the time to port their older games over to Linux. A lot of current games won't either. I don't expect GTA IV to be on linux.

Linux gaming needs Wine to be better, and Wine needs Gallium Nine.
      ...and Gallium Nine needs the open-source drivers that are unsupported by all official porting efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        Why should GAMERS switch to Linux? Exactly.
        Linux is great, but gamers just want to play their games.
        It is not about getting people to switch like it is the case for Microsoft and Sony. It is about making a first step into the console market with Linux and thereby to deliver a new kind of gaming console onto the market. Several PC builder have already announced small form-factor PCs for running SteamOS and labelled these as gaming consoles. This means we could be getting competitive gaming consoles that are compatible to one another and for a low price (and also very high prices for high-end versions, too).

You will however never get Microsoft or Sony to open up their hardware or software or to change their prices. I would not actually look to the "big guys" at this time. They will likely never give up their market shares. At least Microsoft has always fought back on the desktop and I expect nothing less from them for the console market.
        Last edited by sdack; 07 September 2014, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Is Valve still doing that SteamOS / Steam Machines thing or did they finally accept the reality of the market and give up and go back to making hats?

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            ...and Gallium Nine needs the open-source drivers that are unsupported by all official porting efforts.
            This correct, this one problem of gallium but appears other problems as very few users, coders and maintainers compared to normal wine, low compatibility compared to normal wine, non supported for all hardware, dont run out linux (wine runs not only on linux), and most important not have wine official support (various errors have relation with other things but wine dev dont receive results from wine patched versions: wine gallium nine patched, wine csmt and other patchs) and other problems

Back to topic windows is more simple to play and have lastest titles and run in most hardware, gpu drivers stay better from than linux (more features, more performance and other things)

Last edited by pinguinpc; 07 September 2014, 12:50 PM.

Comment

This is like the 3rd month allready that Steam has not asked me for participation in the hardware survey. Would have gladly increased the % by a bit with my desktop. I imagine that if there are more people like me who just don't get the survey from steam anymore, then it's no wonder that the % has decreased.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Is Valve still doing that SteamOS / Steam Machines thing or did they finally accept the reality of the market and give up and go back to making hats?
                They are still doing it but there has been delay after delay in launching the actual "product" because Valve keeps second-guessing/tinkering/revising things based on user feedback and internal testing. The hardware was supposed to be here this year but due to Valve's "improvements", everything was scrapped and revised again and again and again. Next year looks to be the big launch for pre-made Steam Boxes or whatever they end up being called and I suspect that we will also begin to see more of Half-Life 3 at next year's convention presentations to go along with these new Steam-powered hardware configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                  They are still doing it but there has been delay after delay in launching the actual "product" because Valve keeps second-guessing/tinkering/revising things based on user feedback and internal testing. The hardware was supposed to be here this year but due to Valve's "improvements", everything was scrapped and revised again and again and again. Next year looks to be the big launch for pre-made Steam Boxes or whatever they end up being called and I suspect that we will also begin to see more of Half-Life 3 at next year's convention presentations to go along with these new Steam-powered hardware configurations.

SteamBox will launch with the SteamOS and Linux exclusive 3Box, which contains HL3, TF3, L4D3, Portal 3 and DOTA 3. One trillion sales will follow immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    At this point, linux has more AAA titles worth people's interest than Wii-U.
                    Linux has one, The Witcher 2. Don't tell me the Wii-U has less than that.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                      Unless AMD and Nvidia agree to include support for Gallium Nine, and this could also translate over to Mac and other platforms. After all drivers can be updated and if you plan to play games then updating drivers isn't a big issue. Gallium Nine doesn't work very well cause it's been abandoned for 2 years and about a year ago someone else picked it up and fixed it but didn't improve it much. It needs a lot of work but so far it shows far more promise than CSMT, which has been in development for 3 years now.

In order for Linux to work as a gaming platform it must have decent backwards compatibility with Windows games. If Wine can't do it then we need something else.

Comment

Working...
                      X