Steam On Linux Competes To Stay Above 1%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veske View Post
    This is like the 3rd month allready that Steam has not asked me for participation in the hardware survey. Would have gladly increased the % by a bit with my desktop. I imagine that if there are more people like me who just don't get the survey from steam anymore, then it's no wonder that the % has decreased.
    Sir, you are lucky!
    I never ever get this surveys. And above all I have moved to GOG completely.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Most gamers use Windows.

Windows is a better platform for gaming, not only does it support OpenGL, but also DirectX.
      It has lots of more games.
      Better optimized drivers with higher performance.

It is great that Linux finally has Steam. But most people who use Linux are not gamers.
      Most gamers who use Windows won't want to change to Linux, because Windows does gaming better.

Maybe if there were discounts for games on Linux.

They should give free game vouchers to those who login on Steam using Linux.
      Then many Windows gamers who want free games, might try Linux if they got a voucher for free games for it. Some would move away to Windows again, maybe some would stick with Linux.
      I'll give you two (or maybe it's one) reasons why would harcore gamers switch to Linux:

- lack of performance stagnation
      - better overall performance

For example LTS release will have same performance when it's time to upgrade as it was two years ago, file fragmentation is almost non-existent in standard scenarios (read until you fill drive to 80% or more and even then it's not a big deal, just move stuff to another drive and back - solved).

Now take a look at Windows... Not only after installation disk looks like french cheese, but after a month or two it's unusable unless you defragment it, which often is not possible, cause suddenly your system partition is filled in 95% by remains of uninstalled apps which can't be removed. I will not even mention system updates which can take two hours (or more, fragmentation ftw) and countless amount of other smaller issues which do not take place on Linux.

For gamers performance is crucial and Linux (aside from still not 100% working drivers which are getting fixed at awesome speed) wins there without doubt. I can see a year from now a youtube celebs telling their viewers that SteamOS/Linux is faster than Windows and hardcore gamers will flood our platform.

Comment

Originally posted by sbolokanov View Post
        Sir, you are lucky!
        I never ever get this surveys. And above all I have moved to GOG completely.
        That might be correlated.

Comment

I'm currently using Windows on my desktop, due to trouble installing Linux after upgrading motherboard and CPU.
          It may be issues in trying to getting it to work with UEFI, but I havn't had the time to look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
            [...]
            For gamers performance is crucial and Linux (aside from still not 100% working drivers which are getting fixed at awesome speed) wins there without doubt. I can see a year from now a youtube celebs telling their viewers that SteamOS/Linux is faster than Windows and hardcore gamers will flood our platform.
            Within one year AMD, NVIDIA and co consider Linux a major customer-platform?
            Let's hope you are right.

Comment

I'm a Linux gamer, but I'm rarely firing up Steam, why? Lack of AAA titles. CIv V is great, Planetary Annihilation great, Counterstrike/Halflife games great. But there's not much else on the platform yet. Sure there's tons of indie games most of which I own via humble bundle, but there's not much else. Until the AAA titles start to flow from the major publishers Steam will continue to be installed but rarely used. similarly GOG.com, lots of noise but little action on Linux yet. Once Wing Commander 1-4 are on Linux I'll be downloading/playing again. Right now I just stick to wine and emulators/dosbox to run my games. It'll change when there's more out.
              Last edited by DMJC; 07 September 2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

New? no

Over and over the same discussion for months and years, cant you come up with something new?

Linux users are "normal" customers, so games are also part of their life.

Theres nothing special about games, just one segment...

Linux has in every category something to offer, from Games, Media Production, Editing, Development (even Unreal Engine 4) and more, so whats your problem ffs.

Mac was in a very similar position, and still lacks a lot of content, however it got recognized by the industry, while Linux, not really, for now I can only see it in the Game segment more active, and this is only due to ValvE. Its a shame that developers seem to only follow the hype, look at iOS, Apple and Android.
                Marketing is like 1/3 of everything nowadays... damn capitalism.

Comment

Roughly 1-1.5 percent is not bad. Out of 75 million, thats almost a million Linux Steam users.

Also I think some of the delay isn't all on Valve. Just look at the steam statistics, Intel has 20 percent of GPUs, but they only have opengl 3.3 support. The new Metro it requires opengl 4, so I doubt Valve would release their steam machines without propper Intel iGPU support.

Comment

steamos or linux steam runs faster css or l4d2
                    problem is also that valve makes updates to drop shit in some users pants .
                    i made a topic to report specific and always happening crashes at same positions : http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=3247085
                    but nothing is done yet months later

Comment

No reason to switch? As if Microsoft letting the NSA and FBI Spy on you isn't enough; why would you want to use an OS (Windows) that DEGRADES in performance over time?. And it's been suggested the performance degradation was intentional, as to force you to upgrade since the performance decrease usually comes when a new OS is ready to be sold.

Use your Brains people instead of your Fanboy motives.

Comment

Working...
                      X