Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Competes To Stay Above 1%

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Competes To Stay Above 1%

The August numbers for Valve's Steam Hardware/Software Survey indicate a possible drop in Steam Linux usage as the overall percentage of Linux gamers using this digital distribution platform hovers just around 1.0%...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Most gamers use Windows.

Windows is a better platform for gaming, not only does it support OpenGL, but also DirectX.
    It has lots of more games.
    Better optimized drivers with higher performance.

It is great that Linux finally has Steam. But most people who use Linux are not gamers.
    Most gamers who use Windows won't want to change to Linux, because Windows does gaming better.

Maybe if there were discounts for games on Linux.

They should give free game vouchers to those who login on Steam using Linux.
    Then many Windows gamers who want free games, might try Linux if they got a voucher for free games for it. Some would move away to Windows again, maybe some would stick with Linux.

Comment

Why should GAMERS switch to Linux? Exactly.
      Linux is great, but gamers just want to play their games.

Comment

It's not an issue of game cost. It comes down to several things...

1. Hardware. Most people using Linux are not running good hardware. Look at how many postings on this forum complain about how poorly their cheap and low-end hardware from 2006 performs. Look at how many people are using old and outdated laptop/netbook hardware or desktops that cost $350. You can't game with that level of hardware and the open-source drivers that many Linux enthusiasts insist on using can't keep up with the closed ones.

2. Location, location, location. Many Linux users are in countries that might be second or third-tier in terms of how good the Internet access is and it also goes back to the hardware problem. You can't get good hardware for your money unless you live in the right places like Asia or America. Even Canada gets screwed over!

3. Choice of distro. Not all distros are created equal and there are many differences between Ubuntu and lesser-known distros that are not polished for performance.

Comment

GNU Linux is great for games and gamers. I've been doing all my work on GNU Linux since 2005-2006.

More secure, quicker and much more functionality included with the default installation. Not to mention software repositories and ease of installation of new software.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
            Why should GAMERS switch to Linux? Exactly.
            Linux is great, but gamers just want to play their games.
            At this point, linux has more AAA titles worth people's interest than Wii-U. I'm not saying it has enough, but that's currently how things are working out for it. But, your point of why gamers should switch to it is a good one, just not for the reasons you were thinking. Right now Windows has all of the same games linux has and in many cases, the games perform better. Windows is also an easier platform. Most people buy pre-made PCs, which nearly always come with a Windows license.

Linux has a long way to go before the general public (or, average Steam user) will be willing to switch to it. But being willing is only half the battle - until there are linux-exclusive games or situations where linux gets special treatment, there won't be much of a reason to actually switch.

Comment

I have gotten the hardware survey prompt multiple times when running Steam under WINE (I always decline), but have never once gotten the prompt in the Linux client on any of my systems, despite that I have many more hours under the Linux client than I do the Windows client.

Comment

Also, the general lack of gaming-related utilities on Linux doesn't help at all (hardware monitoring, overclocking software, screen/video grabbing, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by kurros View Post
                  I have gotten the hardware survey prompt multiple times when running Steam under WINE (I always decline), but have never once gotten the prompt in the Linux client on any of my systems, despite that I have many more hours under the Linux client than I do the Windows client.
                  I admit, I did the survey under wine. Wanted to try Thief that finished downloading the night before. Past surveys always popped up when running steam linux directly. I guess I messed up the stats this time. Sorry.:P

I always wondered how actually the wine stats would be.
                  Lockheed

Comment

...and, since nobody really mentioned it, I'll chime in with the obligatory mention that, of the people who do game on Linux, a higher percentage than on Windows are gonna want an officially-sanctioned method for downloading DRM-free installers/archives that can be saved and backed up.

It'll be very interesting to see how things turn out with GOG Galaxy.

Comment

Working...
                    X