Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direvent Does Its First Release As A GNU Project

Phoronix: Direvent Does Its First Release As A GNU Project

Since becoming a GNU project last month, Direvent has put out its first official release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did anyone use it? How is it comparing to inotify?

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
      If you use it on linux it will use inotify, so no difference there.
      You would want to use it as soon as you have something that should also run on the BSDs or Darwin.

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
        I believe Direvent can recursively monitor directories whilst inotify can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          That would be odd since direvent uses inotify.

What I do know is that inotify can miss events which happen on files created in a newly created directory. It takes time for the system to recursively watch files in new directory's.

I take it direvent uses some sort of polling to alleviate that?

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
            That would be odd since direvent uses inotify.

What I do know is that inotify can miss events which happen on files created in a newly created directory. It takes time for the system to recursively watch files in new directory's.

I take it direvent uses some sort of polling to alleviate that?
            It could possibly poll for new directories.

Each directory defined with the recursive keyword will be watched recursively. This means that for each subdirectory created in it, direvent will install a watcher similar to that of its parent directory. Optional level statement can be used to set up a cut-off nesting level, beyond which the recursive operation is disabled.

Comment

inotify is the linux kernels file event to userspace notification mechanism

it does not have an option for recursion, for technical reasons
              but you can add a newly created directory to the "watch list" fairly easily (man inotify)
              i guess you would have to check if a subdirectory has been made it that subdirectory while you were adding it to the list, but hey

Comment

Inotify is kernel mechanism, this thingy is an userspace tool that takes advantage of it (and other similar mechanisms on other supported OSs).

I personally don't see much of a point in this project tho.

Comment

My understanding is that inotify can watch dirs recursively but that requires both manual intervention (you can't just set a watch on a Dir and have it automatically monitor all nested dirs) and a watch for each nested Dir, while fanotify was designed to deal with recursion in particular (though fanotify doesn't cover all the functionality needed for a general purpose file watch mechanism).
                  So, you really need to use both if you want both recursion and a watch for SPECIFIC events (file/Dir creation/access/update/deletion/rename/move/etc).

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                    If you use it on linux it will use inotify, so no difference there.
                    You would want to use it as soon as you have something that should also run on the BSDs or Darwin.
                    I see, thanks

Yes i am using inotifywait inside the script to watch direcotories recursively thn make a daemon out of it. Ofcourse its not exactly as easy as specifying directory.

Comment

Working...
                    X