No announcement yet.

My Core i7 5960X + MSI X99 Experience So Far: It's Smoking, Really

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other person's whose X99 mobo blew, it took the i7-5960X with it :/ Corsair, Intel, Kingston, and ASUS are involved but they're not sure what's going on and his X99 DELUXE is being overnighted back to Taiwan on Monday for examination.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

This morning I woke up bright and early to benchmark some DDR4 memory kits and found myself waking up not to Folgers in your cup, but the smell a burnt electrical after loading the XMP profiles on a memory kit and restarting the system. Let me tell you what happened, the best I can.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hopefully the CPU is okay in this case, however it looks like both incidents may have involved the VRM circiutry, which doesn't sound promising.

The apparent involvement of the VRM hardware is quite possibly a coincidence, but it still makes want to hold off on building a new system until more is known about this .

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        The other person's whose X99 mobo blew, it took the i7-5960X with it :/ Corsair, Intel, Kingston, and ASUS are involved but they're not sure what's going on and his X99 DELUXE is being overnighted back to Taiwan on Monday for examination.

Comment

A smoker....

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: My Core i7 5960X + MSI X99 Experience So Far: It's Smoking, Really

This weekend I was planning to publish the first Linux benchmarks for Intel's incredibly powerful Core i7 5960X Haswell-E processor with X99 motherboard and DDR4 system memory. Unfortunately, all I can tell you now is that it's smoking, quite literally!

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20872
          I...for some reason..find this extremely funny(and sad...). It appears that Intel did NOT thoroughly "test" their stuff,before pushing it out the door to the general public;and, now the consumer--(who paid HIGH dollar for this..) ,is getting the "short" end of the stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            FYI, just heard from a Windows review site owner.... ASUS X99 DELUXE had a power phase blow-up this morning. He contacted me after seeing my story and then coincidentally just happened to his previously-working system.
            Since Intel is now using 6 and 8 core CPU's themselves, they're running into the same problem AMD has had with their FX line. Six and eight core CPU's drink power, and motherboard manufacturers have been going cheap with the VRMs on motherboards for a while.

Comment

fire fire

glad to see we are passed tech 101 and onto the fact that this is happening in other boards. i wonder if they were not using protective ground straps? LOL! sorry.. had to.. back when i was a tech ye young whipper snappers, we had to harness ourselves into a cable, the transformer would blow you perteneer out of the computer room. see we didn't have cases, we had rooms. again LOL sorry i just had to.

Comment

Originally posted by midnight_tempest View Post
                Hopefully the CPU is okay in this case, however it looks like both incidents may have involved the VRM circiutry, which doesn't sound promising.

The apparent involvement of the VRM hardware is quite possibly a coincidence, but it still makes want to hold off on building a new system until more is known about this .
                Going by what Mich said, and the picture's, that's my quick, biased and mostly uninformed conclusion as well. Early days for DDR4-based gear (well overdue, and this kind of thing happens!), so intereseted to hear what caused it. I've been holding out for the new stuff for my own new rig.
                Hi

Comment

The whole point of an antistat bag is to allow the discharge of static at a safe (discharging static in <1ms isn't good for electronics) rate. That makes it the best place to leave your motherboard. Just make sure you let it touch metal in your case for a few seconds before you actually install, so charge is reasonably equal.

But, yeah. If the VRM blew, it means it's more likely a design shortcoming somewhere, not a small mistake handling stuff with ESD.
                  Then again, when I see those photos of all Michael's graphics cards stacked on top of each other bare, I get to wondering.

Comment

Haswell-E, what a big big disappointment.

I have several 1660 v2 systems on X9SRA, 6 cores, 12 threads, 3.7 GHz minimum frequency with 4.0 turbo with 32GB to 64GB ram installed .

Haswell-E. What a pile of junk. 3.0 GHz, 3.5 turbo (less than 1660 v2). I dont get why anyone even cares about this new thing. 2 More cores, but 700 MHz shaved off and higher price point.

And now these boards are frying? What is Intel thinking? Most non-server/non-virtualization host computers barely consume 4 cores. I dont get the need for 8:16 on the consumer side at all. I'd rather have 6:12 @ 4.0ghz/4.5ghz turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by pumahove View Post
                      If your workplace offers ESD classes you should take it.
                      Thanks, I have already. In most peoples homes the antistatic/shielding/dissipative bag is probably the most ESD safe surface available.

Comment

Working...
                      X