Nvidia joins the ranks of Apple and Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia joins the ranks of Apple and Microsoft

Nvidia has launched legal action against Samsung and Qualcomm alleging both have made unauthorised use of its technology.

litigious bastards. Yup where's that image where Linus is saying something so suiting to Nvidia right now?

Also Semiaccurate posted a told-you-so where they pointed to articles a year old, all saying this was going to happen.

Props to Charlie, even if I can't afford to subscribe there to read all the juicy bits.

Comment

Round edged graphics are particularly beautiful and should be protected by patents.

Comment

Is everything OK nVidia?

Link found on Charlie's forum:

http://yosoygames.com.ar/wp/2014/09/is-everything-ok-nvidia/

Comment

I think this is the first time Nvidia has done this. i don't see anything wrong with what Nvidia has done...actually it's more Qualcomm's fault ...well at least that samsung is in this is their fault.

Comment

Last time I checked when someone has something stolen from them they are not the blame, the thief is. Blame Qualcomm and, oh big surprise, samsung for steal once again.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
              http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29077101

litigious bastards. Yup where's that image where Linus is saying something so suiting to Nvidia right now?
              Anyone thinking Samsung is the good guy in this scenario must have trouble concentrating or "something".

Just thing about how often nvidia does this and how often Samsung is attacked over this kind of stuff... they are a bunch of stealing rats.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                Anyone thinking Samsung is the good guy in this scenario must have trouble concentrating or "something".

Just thing about how often nvidia does this and how often Samsung is attacked over this kind of stuff... they are a bunch of stealing rats.
                Exactly, first they steal the rounded corners idea from apple and now they steal the programmable graphics idea from nvidia. Those samsung scums, no sense of decency at all. Sue them to hell nvidia team.

ROFL....

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  Exactly, first they steal the rounded corners idea from apple and now they steal the programmable graphics idea from nvidia. Those samsung scums, no sense of decency at all. Sue them to hell nvidia team.

ROFL....
                  The thing is that unfortunately you can't stand up in court, hold an iphone in one hand and Samsung in the other and say "Look, judge, it's obviously a copy; phone, icons, even packaging it shipped in and here's internal Samsung mails discussing copying, here check it out yourself". If only...
                  The system require that instead you document and prove each minute detail separately, preferably backed up by very simple design patents and other documentation. This is why it ends up sounding, well, very silly, if we focus on just one element of the case.

Note I'm not arguing for or against that particular case here, just stating why the tired rounded corners joke doesn't quite cover it.

Anyway, suing left, right and center is not just "evil Apple and MS", it's the reality and daily business of corporate America (and other countries). Unfortunately it's simply part of how a big business is conducted. When I worked for Cisco, whenever Nortel sued us the joke was "oh, it's that time of year again already?". When I worked for Symbian, Motorola would threaten suits upfront if they felt something was missing in the delivered software, we called them The Law Firm.

Anyway, this case may have merit, it would take more than a quick glance to determine it. Samsung's CEO; Lee Kun-hee, while having turned the company around is certainly also a person with very interesting morals.

Comment

Quite normal procedure, first you talk for compensations/cross license deal. If that won't work then you sue.

I don't think nvidia is here for pure patent trolling practices(money money money); they wan't to be taken serious at arm soc manufacturer and need some qualcomm/samsung patented stuff in their socs(wifi,3g, power management. Granted they do have icera but to add icera stuff to one single soc will be a challenge and ways for doing it might be patented by qualcomm etc.). So they sue to get upper hand for cross license talks(gpu tech for you and baseband tech for me).

Comment

Working...
                    X