X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
    Don't like it, write your own.

- Gilboa
    I don't like it. I won't write my own. I'll keep expressing my opinions while you keep spouting that idiotic FLOSS developers meme.

No support for major industry file systems is a serious issue with any disk management utility, no matter how you look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
      No support for major industry file systems is a serious issue with any disk management utility, no matter how you look at it.
      This isn't really a new tool. It is exposing the existing code that is used by the installer in a form that can be used post-installation and features not supported by the installer hasn't been implemented. If you want to request features or send in pull requests, feel free to do so at

Contribute to vojtechtrefny/blivet-gui development by creating an account on GitHub.

I don't think developers involved are reading Phoronix posts so your needs will remain unmet if they aren't requested in the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        This isn't really a new tool. It is exposing the existing code that is used by the installer in a form that can be used post-installation and features not supported by the installer hasn't been implemented. If you want to request features or send in pull requests, feel free to do so at

Contribute to vojtechtrefny/blivet-gui development by creating an account on GitHub.

I don't think developers involved are reading Phoronix posts so your needs will remain unmet if they aren't requested in the right place.
        I really don't care about the app that much. As a matter of fact, it looks OK and it might gain the missing features in the future. All I wish for is the imbecile attitude of "if you don't like it, don't criticize it and write it yourself" to go away for good. NOTHING hurts FLOSS end-user/consumer adoption more than that and I'm sick of it. The idea that because a piece of software is open source and free you just can't have a negative opinion about it, or the assumption that everyone can take a source file and start coding away (and if not, they should just shut up and fuck off) are so stupid and so common in FLOSS after so many years that's just unbelievable. It just gets on my nerves.

Comment

I don't like it. I won't write my own. I'll keep expressing my opinions while you keep spouting that idiotic FLOSS developers meme.

From email
          Suggestions, feature requests, bug reports and of course PATCHES ARE WELCOME! It is quite a simple Gtk application written in Python which makes it an easy target for everybody who misses something in the other storage management tools. Don't like Gtk? Text mode would be really, really useful too! Don't feel like adding new features and diving deep in blivet to implement them? The code always needs refactorization and cleanup!

I think everybody can submit patches for blivet-gui and I'm really looking forward to see the hundreds of patches from all those people that hate every storage management GUIs and tools that have every existed. Let's spend some time on pushing the Linux storage management further instead of just complaining!
          it sounds to me like you would be angry since 0.1.8 doesn't already support what you need, when application clearly states open goals for future

Comment

I really don't care about the app that much. As a matter of fact, it looks OK and it might gain the missing features in the future. All I wish for is the imbecile attitude of "if you don't like it, don't criticize it and write it yourself" to go away for good. NOTHING hurts FLOSS end-user/consumer adoption more than that and I'm sick of it.
            There are plenty of things that hurts adoption more but admittedly people should be allowed to criticize constructively. The flipside of this is that some people complain when tools don't get written in their favorite toolkit even if the current one serves the purpose just fine and they aren't even going to use the app. Others complain about NIH just because there is another tool that sort of does similar things. The acceptance of criticisms would be higher if it was more thoughtful as opposed to just random drive by comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
              Its very slow.
              We are talking about a GUI for a disk management library.
              If they had taken the time to rewrite the code, library and UI in C/C++, it would have been, what, 2% faster?

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Ever heard the term "false sense of self importance"?
                In the OSS world, those who "do", get the make all the decisions.
                Those who talk, get to "spout" (your word, not mine) their no-so-important opinions (with said false sense of self importance) in discussion forums.

Good luck with that.
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                  Ever heard the term "false sense of self importance"?
                  In the OSS world, those who "do", get the make all the decisions.
                  Those who talk, get to "spout" (your word, not mine) their no-so-important opinions (with said false sense of self importance) in discussion forums.

Good luck with that.
                  I'm pretty lucky already, thank you. I tend to use software developed by designers who care about their users and I just dismiss that developed by arrogant pricks. It's FLOSS developers (and especially the companies behind some of them, like in this case Red Hat) who need the users favor, not the other way around. Talking about self importance...

Comment

I'm pretty lucky already, thank you. I tend to use software developed by designers who care about their users and I just dismiss that developed by arrogant pricks. It's FLOSS developers (and especially the companies behind some of them, like in this case Red Hat) who need the users favor, not the other way around. Talking about self importance...
                    setting aside the fact you aren't talking the developers but interacting with regular forum users I view the relationship to be more symbiotic. Not so one sided as you think

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                      setting aside the fact you aren't talking the developers but interacting with regular forum users I view the relationship to be more symbiotic. Not so one sided as you think
                      No need to set aside anything. I know who I'm talking to. While too many developers are openly despising their users, what borders insanity is having their fans emulating them in these forums.

I do think some development areas are symbiotic; basically those related to software for IT professionals (server software, admin tools, etc.), but when it comes to consumers, 99% of which aren't technically skilled, telling them to "fix it yourself" is blatantly silly -when not slightly insulting- and, frankly, it's getting old and tiresome.

The particular application this thread is about is one of those that IT pros wouldn't normally use (they have the command line this app is trying to abstract), so I believe my position applies perfectly well here.

Comment

Working...
                      X