X.Org Is Looking For Some Female Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    God forbid we'd want to be socially responsible and give new mothers time with their newborns. Those poor companies!

Do you have a mother, and do you hate her too? Or is it just women in the workforce who have children? Or maybe you were grown in a test tube...
    My mother was working for the state. In general they pay less cause they know that more women work there and the productivity is lower. And they're less worried about the profits because the state doesn't need to make any profit. They have some annual budget and the work is done if they manage to spend it all. If not, they reduce the next year's budget.

I don't know where you got that impression but the goal of having a company is to maximize the profits and minimize costs. Ideally you'd definitely want to avoid people having babies unless they can compensate for that with some extra value via their paid contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      I'm not talking about generalizations and stereotypes. It's about statistics. I agree that the woman you describe would be a very valuable worker for any company. Also the men who are ambitious and work overtime. They benefit your company and you more than average guys. Just google for "women work less hours". It's easy to find proof. They often say here that women's euro is only 70 eurocents. But guess what, their working hours are also 70-80% that of mens hours, statistically. So.. yes they earn a bit less, but not 30% less.
      I'm not sure what any of this has to do with an X.Org EVOC opportunity.

Also, by the way, those statistics aren't what i found when i googled "women work less hours in computer science". Imagine that - women in 1 particular field don't have the same behavior as those in completely different fields.

Anyway, an EVOC isn't concerned about logging hours. It's about the results, and getting a project finished. It's also just for a few months - again, meaning it's completely different from what you've kept going on about here.

Comment

my mother was working for the state. In general they pay less cause they know that more women work there and the productivity is lower.
        [citation needed]

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
          No, but you can tell them to get out. No matter how good their code is, it's never worth keeping one contributor who alienates many more. Especially not if it's 50% of the human population being alienated.

Luckily though, no-one espousing this omg-men-are-being-oppressed crap in this thread actually contributes to any open source project.
          Who said men are being oppressed? Try reading my post again.

Anyway, I 100% agree with you

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          Mansplaining at its greatest. You are in no position to be lecturing women on what should and should not be offending them, or what should and should not make them feel more welcome in a project.
          Just like I'm in no position to tell women anything (I'm just stating my opinion on that matter), you are in no position to telling me not too

How about you address my points with arguments instead of trying to make me sound sexist (which I'm not and any person with basic comprehensive reading skills could understand what I meant in my previous post) by twisting what I've said?

Arguments, heard about them?

Oh and btw, women with balls (or if you prefer - powerful vagina) achiev everything they want, those without usually whine at social media about how oppressed they are by man-pigs.

Comment

It's not equal pay if one works for 4 years full time, the other works for 2 years full + 2 years taking care of babies. And you need to hire some other guy to do the work (and if you're unlucky, this other guy is also a woman who decides to have babies => you also need to pay a third one to do the job). Also, statistically women work less (in work hours). If you have a fixed monthly salary, it's discriminating against those who work more hours.
            The whole issue with your reasoning is here: "statistically". You don't hire statistic, you hire people. For the same reason it's illegal to put random black people in jail because they statistically commit more crimes, it's illegal to pay women less because they statistically something something.

People can get paid more because they actually work more hours, not because they statistically work more.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
              Who said men are being oppressed? Try reading my post again.
              How about you address my points with arguments instead of trying to make me sound sexist (which I'm not and any person with basic comprehensive reading skills could understand what I meant in my previous post) by twisting what I've said?

Arguments, heard about them?

Oh and btw, women with balls (or if you prefer - powerful vagina) achiev everything they want, those without usually whine at social media about how oppressed they are by man-pigs.
              To his defense, statements like "every self-respecting women should be offended by" are not really arguments either. Same for baseless statements about women with balls and oppressed whiners.

Comment

There is nothing stopping women sending patches upstream; F/OSS projects love patches and will accept patches based on technical merit regardless of: gender, ethnicity, age, etc.; anyone saying the contrary is either a complete moron or has never participated in F/OSS. Go ahead and try to prove me wrong. Protip: you can't.

Does anyone have statistics on the conversion rate for GNOMES' OPW? I seriously doubt these women in OPW will continue participating in F/OSS after these programs... but I would be glad to see the contrary.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                  To his defense, statements like "every self-respecting women should be offended by" are not really arguments either. Same for baseless statements about women with balls and oppressed whiners.
                  I would argue about women with balls, but I may be biased - was raised by three women and always worked with a lot of females in every job I had so far. I've seen first hand what confident women with balls can achiev when whiny, weak, so called feminist can't.

Have you noticed how strong, independent, self conscious women just do whatever they want and do not care about some feminists agendas?

Comment

My mother was working for the state. In general they pay less cause they know that more women work there and the productivity is lower. And they're less worried about the profits because the state doesn't need to make any profit. They have some annual budget and the work is done if they manage to spend it all. If not, they reduce the next year's budget.

I don't know where you got that impression but the goal of having a company is to maximize the profits and minimize costs. Ideally you'd definitely want to avoid people having babies unless they can compensate for that with some extra value via their paid contributions.
                    So, does that mean we go back to using child labor? Seriously, WTF!

But all your silly arguments don't change the fact that there is such a thing as paternity leave. And there are male employees who work less rediculous overtime in order to spend time with family, etc. (Not to mention, this whole topic is about a short-term employment internship opportunity, so none of this is actually applicable.)

Anyways, I fail to see how more awesome linux/xorg/gnome/etc coder moms is a bad thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                      There is nothing stopping women sending patches upstream; F/OSS projects love patches and will accept patches based on technical merit regardless of: gender, ethnicity, age, etc.; anyone saying the contrary is either a complete moron or has never participated in F/OSS. Go ahead and try to prove me wrong. Protip: you can't.

Does anyone have statistics on the conversion rate for GNOMES' OPW? I seriously doubt these women in OPW will continue participating in F/OSS after these programs... but I would be glad to see the contrary.
                      Finally someone with working brain, thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X