No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.14 Beta 2 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@up- Not so fast cowboy. When it comes to Wayland almost nothing is working properly. The only things what are working without problems are Weston, weston terminal and weston demos and that is it. Even Gtk3 has some cons and some things are not working(there was some gnome site in intrnet where everything was .pointed out). We still don't have some big browser what works on Wayland( on both Firefox and Chromium progress has been made but i thing there is a still long road to that). Believe me, i want nothing more but to see fully operational Wayland desktop without Xwayland but i thing we have to wait couple of years.

When it comes to Gnome 3. I think it is pretty much unusable desktop, i just installed Mate on my machine and when it comest to comfort, compatibility, speed there is nothing better than Gnome 2. But Wayland gonna erase all that and Mate will gonna have to move to Gtk3 but i hope so this will be still good desktop. In my dreams i have Gnome 5 which will be better than both its predecessors.

PS. Sorry for bad English, English is not my native language.

Comment

First they should solve some bugs

I'm running Debian Jessie x86 on an Intel Atom N270 with GMA 945 GME over Gnome 3.12.

Since Gnome 3.8 I experience a graphical bug.

It happens when I activate the option of Nautilus to manage the desktop. The wallpaper fades and the background turns white.

Also, since the UI remodelation in gedit I miss the "Save as" option.

If I wish to save the file I was editing with a different name I must select/copy/paste its contents to a new empty file.
      Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
        Also, since the UI remodelation in gedit I miss the "Save as" option.

If I wish to save the file I was editing with a different name I must select/copy/paste its contents to a new empty file.
        Nice.
        That doesn't seem right. The latest GNOME has

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ExoL4oxm_...gedit-3-12.jpg
          Gnome UI/UX people are fucken idiots. No way to put it in a different way.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ExoL4oxm_...gedit-3-12.jpg

Thanks.

I didn't find the option even if it's at one click. I felt hopeless.

Maybe it's my fault for assuming the "gear" button was only for configure options.
            Also, the gedit's help didn't saw nothing about Save as, but only Save (Spanish translation).

Anyway thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              Gnome UI/UX people are fucken idiots. No way to put it in a different way.
              Hi, we will remove all teh buttons (they are scaryeth) but one, which will call a menu we stuff with everything possible. In exchange we will make window titlebars as big as half of your screen height.
              Have a nice day.

Maybe it's my fault for assuming the "gear" button was only for configure options.
              Also, the gedit's help didn't saw nothing about Save as, but only Save (Spanish translation).
              ~GNOME UI in action~

Comment

I don't understand the pure hatred for Gnome. If you don't like it then don't use it and leave it at that. There are other DEs that will get the job done I'm sure.

Comment

Thanks.

Anyway thank you.
                  The gear icon is being changed to a 'hamburger' icon much like Firefox and Chrome use in 3.14, I agree the gear icon represents settings and not simple functions such as save as. I really do not like the new gedit, it looks nice when you open it but having everything crammed in to that gear icon is not really an improvement.

I still do not understand why gnome apps need the AppMenu + Gear (soon to be burger) menu and I can totally see why this is very confusing.

UX failures aside my biggest gripe, with Gnome Shell is still the damn memory consumption. The use of the SpiderMonkey has memory consumption going wild on my Arch system. If I don't alt+r and restart the shell daily I am looking at 2gb+ memory consumption from using gnome shell (overview, mainly) and no, it's not extensions (I've tested this, a lot).. I don't know if the memory consumption is crazy on ATI/AMD drivers but it definitely is out of control on nVidia and Intel drivers. They really need to fix this or some up with some solution because gnome-shell taking up gigs of system memory is kind of ... insane.

Comment

A case study for the business schools

Originally posted by dsreyes1014 View Post
                    I don't understand the pure hatred for Gnome. If you don't like it then don't use it and leave it at that. There are other DEs that will get the job done I'm sure.
                    Anybody who remembers Ubuntu with GNOME 2 will never get over how the GNOME project lost its way. IMHO this was the best desktop ever offered on any operating system. Period.

Now, GNOME is just another also-ran in a crowded field of Metro wannabes. The project is increasingly marginalized in a shrinking macro-market for desktop systems.

People will never stop being angry about what happened to GNOME and they shouldn't. It's a genuine case study for business schools about an organization abandoning leadership in their field to chase pipe dreams.

If the GNOME project hadn't lost its way, it could have continued to provide the best DE available for productivity, with evolutionary improvement, in response to the needs of its users. That's not what they did and no one should forgive them.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelSerious View Post
                      The gear icon is being changed to a 'hamburger' icon much like Firefox and Chrome use in 3.14, I agree the gear icon represents settings and not simple functions such as save as. I really do not like the new gedit, it looks nice when you open it but having everything crammed in to that gear icon is not really an improvement.

I still do not understand why gnome apps need the AppMenu + Gear (soon to be burger) menu and I can totally see why this is very confusing.

UX failures aside my biggest gripe, with Gnome Shell is still the damn memory consumption. The use of the SpiderMonkey has memory consumption going wild on my Arch system. If I don't alt+r and restart the shell daily I am looking at 2gb+ memory consumption from using gnome shell (overview, mainly) and no, it's not extensions (I've tested this, a lot).. I don't know if the memory consumption is crazy on ATI/AMD drivers but it definitely is out of control on nVidia and Intel drivers. They really need to fix this or some up with some solution because gnome-shell taking up gigs of system memory is kind of ... insane.
                      Three horizontal bars is a hamburger to you? Interesting. You'd expect a curved top bar, in my world, to recognize it as a hamburger.

P.S. Memory consumption is pathetic. GNome-Shell is like OS X Finder, but a bleeding like a sieve and weak version, with a fraction of the functionality, and the search feature of all Linux or Windows sucks ass next to Spotlight.

Comment

Working...
                      X