Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Updated Catalyst Linux Graphics Driver (v14.30)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
    Yeah but he said "out the box" which was a bit confusing. Out-the-box implies open-source drivers.

I don't know of any distro where a proprietary graphics driver is installed right after install. Although now that I think about it, perhaps that 3rd-party checkbox during Ubuntu installers might do that?

But in any case, considering this is a R9 285-specific release, I don't know how one would expect other hardware to work, and then complain when it doesn't...
    SteamOS uses proprietary graphics drivers from AMD and Nvidia by default.
    Last edited by tmpdir; 04 September 2014, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
      @olbi:

There is surely not much reason to use fglrx on radeon 5750...
      Except for the approx. 200-250% performance boost...

Comment

In what usecase ?

I bet not on the Desktop, neither while watching (HD-) videos. When we're talking about gaming there will be some differences, but i really doubt 250% difference. Phoronix has done lots of benchmarking on that stuff, have a look for yourself. I have no HD5xxx Series Hardware, but my HD6850 and 7950 works really fine with radeon OSS driver.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          That only applies to RadeonSI+ hardware. Radeon HD 6000 and prior practically equal Catalyst's performance. If there is a difference, the difference is closer to 20%.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            Probably that was true some time ago, but not today. I'm using my 6670 with Mesa since 3 weeks, and Mesa is better than catalyst by far, at least in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
              That only applies to RadeonSI+ hardware. Radeon HD 6000 and prior practically equal Catalyst's performance. If there is a difference, the difference is closer to 20%.
              This sir, is a very optimistic estimation my system cannot match.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                This sir, is a very optimistic estimation my system cannot match.
                Well, there are numerous benchmarks on this site across different hardware and tests showing it.

But perhaps you can share what hardware and software you were testing that didn't match it?

Is it a 4200, 2600, or something else incredibly weak? I don't think those have been optimized as well, but i'm surprised you can do much on them with fglrx either. Enabling hyperz probably makes a bigger difference on those if you haven't tried it yet.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 05 September 2014, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  ... But perhaps you can share what hardware and software you were testing that didn't match it? ...
                  Maybe HD 69x0?

Comment

Who knows I think it probably isn't tested on cards diferent to R9 285 it probably should work on the other GCN GPu but it could have issues with them. I wouldn't install it on systems without use as test/experiment system. you couldn't complain if your system didn't work afterwards, sinc support isn't advertised.

Automobile Classifieds
                    Free Post Classifieds

Comment

I found in this driver version very interesting file: libamdhsasc64.so. What is it? Possible new code of HSA support from AMD. Moreover I found in new libamdoc64 string "amdhsasc64". Does anyone known what join these files? Ofcourse this is only my assumptions

Comment

Working...
                      X