This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
    9. glibc.[/B] Well, even if the systemd devs aren't themselves interested in supporting other standard libs, if someone really needs it (a specialized embedded Linux?) then I don't see why the devs would reject patches that can support it.
    They do reject patches, and they do claim that the libc should mimic glibc and all the GNU extensions systemd might want use.

Comment

Originally posted by jan1024188 View Post
      Besides, theres plenty of distros that don't and won't use systemd in near future, so whats the point of this nonsense.
      One of the expressed goals are to remove the "meaningless differences between distros". At a certain point you will ask why usr (or spend time to build) a different distro when its all the same anyways? I expect the number of distros reduce in the future.

It is becoming increasingly more difficult to maintain those alternate distros because more and more software will not build/run without systemd or components of systemd. (Have you tried get your bluetooth keyboard work on a non-systemd linux? or tried set up a GNOME system without systemd?)

Its called freedom of choice and its a beautiful thing.
      I believe the anti-systemd reactions is a result of people feeling that this higly valued freedom is slowly removed. And I believe those feelings are not totally unfunded.

Comment

One more reason not to use other than Slackware (and a few other distributions, choice is still there).

These who like Windows philosophy already have alternative: https://www.reactos.org/

Comment

All I know is that Arch, my distro of choice, transitioned to systemd, and the people who made that decision know a lot more about this than me. I trust their judgement, and my own move to systemd only presented minor problems (with fairly significant upsides).

I share some reservations about systemd, but the boycott people come across as somewhat hysteric, and are contributing nothing other than FUD. I'd have more respect for them if they proposed any viable alternative. Linux is moving forward and they act like the sky is falling.

Comment

Originally posted by mirex View Post
            Maybe because Poland doesnt have any nuclear power plants ?

Anyway 90% guys here are bashing that boycott site without any knowledge.
            Truth is that systemd will fall like a Roman empire in few years, just w8 and see.
            753bc to 395ad is a long period. I'm sure we replace both kernel and systemd long before that.

Comment

Originally posted by ncopa View Post
              They do reject patches, and they do claim that the libc should mimic glibc and all the GNU extensions systemd might want use.
              That's actually a sensible reason why they should reject patches.

Well, it just means that operating systems without glibc can't use systemd without some significant extra work. This doesn't seem like the end of the world to me.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                Could the issue be related to Debian Jessie?
                Fsck's on next boot when I remove power on Arch, so maybe? A misconfigured fstab, mayhaps? :/

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  All I know is that Arch, my distro of choice, transitioned to systemd, and the people who made that decision know a lot more about this than me. I trust their judgement, and my own move to systemd only presented minor problems (with fairly significant upsides).

I share some reservations about systemd, but the boycott people come across as somewhat hysteric, and are contributing nothing other than FUD. I'd have more respect for them if they proposed any viable alternative. Linux is moving forward and they act like the sky is falling.
                  +1

Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by mirex View Post
                    Maybe because Poland doesnt have any nuclear power plants ?
                    Poland's nuclear power plant is in Lithuania. How cool is that?

They will start it next year, though.

About the systemd news on phoronix dated september 2nd, I don't like the way it is formulated. At all. And that website is up for quite some time. So, where is the news.

Phoronix -1.

To M. Larabel. Where is the filesystems benchmark? If you are still waiting for the kernel and the article has no skeleton as of now, try to benchmark more than the regular filesystems. Linux is about choice. Supported or not, some filesystems are still rock solid. Ancient isn't always bad. Look at the bsd world. Look at what made debian a cool distro.

I want to see more benchmarks on phoronix. Is that an achievable goal? I want to see alternatives at test. Linux is about choice. ++ to those that believe it. Systemd is a choice. Just.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                      Sigh. Every single point in this website's list has been refuted several times. But people seem to attached to their myths (like the one about Wayland not "supporting" remote UIs).

[...]
                      Thank you very much for actually going into the subject matter. I have no position on systemd because I know next to nothing about it, and it seemed to me upon reading the website that some good points were made, but of course I lacked context.

It is sad that I had to wade through five pages of non-information posted by trolls to get to your post. Apparently most people posting in this thread do not feel that this is a board for discussion, but for repeating their unsupported opinions as loudly as possible.

So, once again, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X