Borderlands 2 Is Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
    Do Not Buy the game tell it's released on Linux and once released only play it on Linux for 2 to 3 weeks so the developers get paid for the Liux port
    Exactly, if Larabel gave a damn he'd have pointed that out instead of that it's on sale. To back that up take a look at http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...-on-linux.3934
    And http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...rs-part-3.4090

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      Exactly, if Larabel gave a damn he'd have pointed that out instead of that it's on sale. To back that up take a look at http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...-on-linux.3934
      Thanks for those links, I was wondering how this worked.

Only problem us that Linux ports take too long! Civ6 and Borderlands prequel are coming out this year and they are some of my favourite franchises and I will be getting both on day one - there is no way I could wait 2years for a Linux port, or even 6 months!

Comment

Thanks for the links. What happens for a boxed version? If, for example, I bought the Metro Redux boxed version and I wait to activate it on Steam (if it includes a steam key, I don't know) until the Linux release. It will count as a Linux purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by Khudsa View Post
          Thanks for the links. What happens for a boxed version? If, for example, I bought the Metro Redux boxed version and I wait to activate it on Steam (if it includes a steam key, I don't know) until the Linux release. It will count as a Linux purchase?
          I'm not completely certain, but i think if you play it only in Linux for the following month after activating it (also in linux), the linux devs should get at least a portion of money from it.

I'd buy it through Steam on Linux if you want to be really sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            I'm not completely certain, but i think if you play it only in Linux for the following month after activating it (also in linux), the linux devs should get at least a portion of money from it.

I'd buy it through Steam on Linux if you want to be really sure though.
            cant you make a petition, to ensure that credit get who credit deserves?

Comment

Exactly, if Larabel gave a damn he'd have pointed that out instead of that it's on sale.
              I'm not sure that's how it works. 2K and Gearbox are decently large development groups. I highly doubt the linux devs are paid via salary. Also, Borderlands 2 is on sale all the time.

On another note, the game showed up in my steam list yesterday, but the download size is 0KB.

Comment

Originally posted by teeedubb View Post
                Thanks for those links, I was wondering how this worked.

Only problem us that Linux ports take too long! Civ6 and Borderlands prequel are coming out this year and they are some of my favourite franchises and I will be getting both on day one - there is no way I could wait 2years for a Linux port, or even 6 months!
                i doubt it will be 6 months. even civ5 took less time from the moment it showed in steam db. not to mention, civ5 probably took longer since aspyr needed to adapt to new environment, new tools, new... well, everything. and the fact they made port so good is another pointer they were more concerned by quality than release date.

and just FYI. new borderlands is story wise after B1 and pre B2 as far as i read. if i remember correctly, it explains how story in 2 started, so it might be even better if you play new one and then B2.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I'm not sure that's how it works. 2K and Gearbox are decently large development groups. I highly doubt the linux devs are paid via salary. Also, Borderlands 2 is on sale all the time.

On another note, the game showed up in my steam list yesterday, but the download size is 0KB.
                  Thats the way Steam has handled ports for Mac as well because you can get keys from outside shops and those keys are not themselves tied to a specific OS version, the only way they know what companies to pay for the sale as many times the ports are not done in house and may even have a different publisher they use the above first week of activation, else it defaults to a "standard" Windows sale.

It sucks, but thats the way it's set up as is stated by various game devs.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                    i doubt it will be 6 months. even civ5 took less time from the moment it showed in steam db. not to mention, civ5 probably took longer since aspyr needed to adapt to new environment, new tools, new... well, everything. and the fact they made port so good is another pointer they were more concerned by quality than release date.

and just FYI. new borderlands is story wise after B1 and pre B2 as far as i read. if i remember correctly, it explains how story in 2 started, so it might be even better if you play new one and then B2.
                    The Aspyr guys have always done great work, when I was a Mac user they did a huge number of the Mac ports and every one of them was done extremely well.

Comment

Sorry for the companies doing these ports but wake me up when Steam itself gets a native 64bit version.
                      32bit Steam pulls practically the whole OS in 32 bit as dependency. I don't want that.

Comment

Working...
                      X