The Witcher 2 Ups The Performance More & Works Around Catalyst Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    So, I was curious to see what the benchmarks of game in Windows and I was surprised to see how poorly it performed, even with ubersampling off. Seems to me the game is just poorly coded.
    Yeah, the game was never very optimized, which is why you knew it was bad when people were talking about how much worse the supported version was than WINE.

Comment

bugged extensions in fglrx? that is a shocker

Comment

Originally posted by Sdar View Post
        amd drivers sometimes is disabling stuff and waiting in hopes amd eventually fixes the issue.
        No, it looks like the best way is to disable it and start a huge shit storm. maybe then AMD see the issue and start fixing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
          Do you know if a box version of TW2 can be activated on Steam to get it on Linux (and therefore on Windows, through Steam) ? Because I don't see a "linux installer" that could unpack the binaries, and fetch the game data from the DVD...

How, and don't talk "gog" to me, I'm french, and there's really no french support for the games sold there.
          You can redeem the boxed version only on gog.com, and yes you can have it in French then. No Linux yet though.

Comment

if the game had been made ​​with OpenGL from the beginning, they would not have had so many problems
            I think it would have been better finish porting to OpenGL instead improve emulation

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
              Do you know if a box version of TW2 can be activated on Steam to get it on Linux (and therefore on Windows, through Steam) ? Because I don't see a "linux installer" that could unpack the binaries, and fetch the game data from the DVD...

How, and don't talk "gog" to me, I'm french, and there's really no french support for the games sold there.
              No, but you can activate it on GOG, and there is a French version of the Witcher 2 there as well:

Linux version will arrive there sometime soon.

Comment

Extra performance gains are always welcome. I can play the game now in 1280x720 medium settings with a GTS450 but I should be able to play in full hd medium settings fluently with the hardware. BTW did they solve crashes that happen time to time while changing chapters and scenes?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  So, I was curious to see what the benchmarks of game in Windows and I was surprised to see how poorly it performed, even with ubersampling off. Seems to me the game is just poorly coded. Considering in Windows I would only get roughly 30FPS with medium-low settings at 1080p with a single HD5750, I'm not sure I should ever bother to attempt to play this game in linux as long as the open source drivers don't support crossfire.
                  I have played TW2 on XP (max settings), and then I tried to play it too on W7 - I think it was at least twice slower than under XP. While on XP the whole game was fluid, under W7 it was pretty sluggish (tested with same hardware - i5-2500, 8GB RAM, Radeon 7950, even the same game directory). The game was unplayable on Linux for me until a patch or two ago (now it works ), and I intend to play it there again. More and more games are working in Linux (native or under Wine), and there is almost no need for me to go back to Win (except for burning BluRay discs - it still doesn't work for me in Linux).

Comment

Now also available on GOG.com
                    Downloading now...

Comment

Originally posted by Sdar View Post
                      It's not a fix, is a slap in the face to AMD drivers like when firefox Blacklisted Direct2D for Catalyst 14.4, it seems that the only way to make things works with amd drivers sometimes is disabling stuff and waiting in hopes amd eventually fixes the issue.

I hope they do a better job whit the forthcoming Opengl next.
                      The problem with ATI(AMD) is that for every bug that they(if they manage to truly fix it) is that they break 5 or 6 other things in the process...

Comment

Working...
                      X