The Witcher 2 Ups The Performance More & Works Around Catalyst Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Witcher 2 Ups The Performance More & Works Around Catalyst Bug

Phoronix: The Witcher 2 Ups The Performance More & Works Around Catalyst Bug

Just over three months after the release of the troubled Witcher 2 Linux port, it seems The Witcher 2's performance is finally getting into decent shape after numerous optimizations and bug-fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why isn't TW2 for Linux available on gog.com yet? You would expect that to be the first one to have it...
    I love CDProjekt, and I own all their games, but I won't buy TW2 again on Steam just to play it on Linux.

Comment

So, I was curious to see what the benchmarks of game in Windows and I was surprised to see how poorly it performed, even with ubersampling off. Seems to me the game is just poorly coded. Considering in Windows I would only get roughly 30FPS with medium-low settings at 1080p with a single HD5750, I'm not sure I should ever bother to attempt to play this game in linux as long as the open source drivers don't support crossfire.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
        Why isn't TW2 for Linux available on gog.com yet? You would expect that to be the first one to have it...
        I love CDProjekt, and I own all their games, but I won't buy TW2 again on Steam just to play it on Linux.
        Someone asked that in the thread for their "We couldn't wait until fall. Here are 50 of the 100+ Linux games we promised right now" announcement.

The response was that it'll be available on GOG once it reaches a level of quality that wouldn't reflect badly on GOG for carrying it. (As opposed to an early access level of quality)

Comment

Do you know if a box version of TW2 can be activated on Steam to get it on Linux (and therefore on Windows, through Steam) ? Because I don't see a "linux installer" that could unpack the binaries, and fetch the game data from the DVD...

How, and don't talk "gog" to me, I'm french, and there's really no french support for the games sold there.

Comment

???

the game devs correct the bug in fglrx!!!??? when fglrx devs can't do a job...

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
              the game devs correct the bug in fglrx!!!???
              No they only don't use the bugged extension

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                the game devs correct the bug in fglrx!!!??? when fglrx devs can't do a job...
                The game is now detecting the Catalyst driver and disabling usage of this extension
                It's not a fix, is a slap in the face to AMD drivers like when firefox Blacklisted Direct2D for Catalyst 14.4, it seems that the only way to make things works with amd drivers sometimes is disabling stuff and waiting in hopes amd eventually fixes the issue.

I hope they do a better job whit the forthcoming Opengl next.

Comment

The recommended requirements say MESA drivers are not "currently" supported, does that mean once MESA drivers catch up in the needed extensions CD Projekt will add them as supported?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    So, I was curious to see what the benchmarks of game in Windows and I was surprised to see how poorly it performed, even with ubersampling off. Seems to me the game is just poorly coded. Considering in Windows I would only get roughly 30FPS with medium-low settings at 1080p with a single HD5750, I'm not sure I should ever bother to attempt to play this game in linux as long as the open source drivers don't support crossfire.
                    With a GPU like that I'm not surprised you can only fluidly run the game at 30fps. This game is very graphical, especially on high settings it performs quite reasonable for it's heavy graphics.

Comment

Working...
                    X