Preview: AMD's FX-9590 Eight-Core At Up To 5.0GHz On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Marek pushed hyperz patches right now, enable hyperz in further benchmarking of AMD GPUs and fly . I tested those 8 days day to day they are rock stable, no artifacts no lockups and even speeder than before
    What changes with the patches? I've had hyperz enabled since I got my GPU via environment flag.

Comment

More realistic benchmark results

These are my results for a stock FX-9590 in s Sabertooth 990FX R2 motherboard.

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

These results are more realistic in that they don't dumbly compare Intel processors running with the performance governor and AMD processors running with the on-demand governor. CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are set to "-O3 -march=native" as per the settings in the original benchmark.

Come on Michael! I'd accuse you of kickbacks from Intel, if I didn't know better.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        What changes with the patches? I've had hyperz enabled since I got my GPU via environment flag.
        Workarounds for known lockups, artifacts with hyperz enabled of course which makes hyperz usage stable.

Implemented fast depth clear, EXPCLEAR optimization for depth, etc... which make it more faster

I guess Michael will write an article about that

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Workarounds for known lockups, artifacts with hyperz enabled of course which makes hyperz usage stable.

Implemented fast depth clear, EXPCLEAR optimization for depth, etc... which make it more faster

I guess Michael will write an article about that
          Was this part of a mesa change or a kernel DRI patch?

Comment

Was this part of a mesa change or a kernel DRI patch?
            Mesa, you can read it yourself there: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/log/

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              Let me tell you that the FX-9590 is trash. The problem though is that the CPU draws a lot of power, and that can slow down the CPU. The problem is the VRMs on the motherboards. I have an 8350 with a pretty good Gigabyte motherboard and it cooks those VRMs. I had to put a waterblock on the VRMs just to get them to a decent temperature. That ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer is probably not good enough to handle the 9590, which would explain why in some tests that the CPU would slow down compared to the 8350. When VRMs get too hot the motherboard will throttle to prevent the VRM from shutting down, cause VRMs will shut down when it reaches a certain temp which just crashes the system. This is more of an issue with motherboard manufacturers than AMD's CPUs, but AMD has done nothing to stop motherboard makers from putting shitty VRMs with sometimes no heatsink on their boards and label them as 8 core capable. Even the 6 core FX chips have heat issues with motherboard VRMs. I had to put heatsinks on a new motherboard with AMD A10 6800K cause Prime95 would always crash and sure enough the VRM's are hot enough to burn your fingers. Also doesn't help that water cooling doesn't throw any air over those VRMs. Seriously run a heavy duty test and put your finger directly underneath the VRMs. Some people have warped their motherboards with 8350's cooking those VRMs.

But anything in the ~$120 price range or less you're better off with AMD. Nearly equal in performance on the CPU, but far better performance on the GPU. It's when you gear near the $200 price range where it gets hard to justify a AMD, cause 9/10 an i5 is just better. I have an 8350 and it's nice but it only shines when an application can use all 8 cores, which is extremely rare. An i5 shines all the damn time, except when it comes to multi-threaded applications, and even then it's not that bad.
              I can confirm this, I have a 8350 as well with a GA-990FXA-UD3 and the VRMs get BLAZING hot. The inadequate stock heatsinks which are a borderline joke will not cut it (go over to the 990FXA-UD3 thread on overclockers if you want hard proof). I ended up buying an H60 closed loop water cooler which barely cuts it (tiny OC to rock solid 4.4) and a copper vrm heatsink with a fan right over top just to prevent throttling. Luckily this thing is on tight and works to prevent warping which sadly is a real issue. All in all I am happy with it as I splurged and bought all the cooling day one (wanted the quiet route, didn't even know about the heat issues at the time). And with Intel being used for Apple products, fawk supporting that mess...

Comment

After a bit of digging, it appears that AMD has a new FX line planned for late 2015 which is neat.
                Also, I hope by 2016 ARM will be usable as a regular desktop processor because AMD seems to be putting a lot of effort into ARM.
                We're putting a lot of effort into x86 *and* ARM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  We're putting a lot of effort into x86 *and* ARM.
                  Is there any chance if you could tell me AMD will have new enthusiast CPUs to replace the aging FX line?
                  I've used AMD CPUs since my AMD Athlon 1800+, but I feel like I'm going to have to abandon AMD soon on my desktop.

Comment

I don't know specific SKU plans, but it seems very unlikely that we would invest in a new x86 core and not offer it in both desktop and server SKUs.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by ParticleBoard View Post
                      I can confirm this, I have a 8350 as well with a GA-990FXA-UD3 and the VRMs get BLAZING hot. The inadequate stock heatsinks which are a borderline joke will not cut it (go over to the 990FXA-UD3 thread on overclockers if you want hard proof). I ended up buying an H60 closed loop water cooler which barely cuts it (tiny OC to rock solid 4.4) and a copper vrm heatsink with a fan right over top just to prevent throttling. Luckily this thing is on tight and works to prevent warping which sadly is a real issue. All in all I am happy with it as I splurged and bought all the cooling day one (wanted the quiet route, didn't even know about the heat issues at the time). And with Intel being used for Apple products, fawk supporting that mess...
                      Funny you say that cause I have a GA-970A-UD3P and I know the UD3's are horrible when it comes to VRMs. The A10 CPU I talked about is also on a Gigabyte. The only motherboard manufacturer that can mostly get away with a good motherboard is Asus, and I say mostly. A lot of their boards don't have heatsinks on the VRMs either. I ended up putting this waterblock on the VRM.

It's criminal what motherboard manufacturers do.

Comment

Working...
                      X