Thread: Microsoft & AMD Release C++ AMP Compiler With Linux Support

Default Microsoft & AMD Release C++ AMP Compiler With Linux Support

Phoronix: Microsoft & AMD Release C++ AMP Compiler With Linux Support

AMD and Microsoft jointly released C++ AMP version 1.2 compiler that supports Linux alongside Windows. Ubuntu is the officially supported distribution at this time...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3Nzg

mmm, seems a bad idea for some reason, i'll wait for opencl in mesa better.

Microsoft and AMD software sounds like a very bad idea waiting to kill kittens

Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    mmm, seems a bad idea for some reason, i'll wait for opencl in mesa better.

Microsoft and AMD software sounds like a very bad idea waiting to kill kittens
    In fact, I have not seen anywhere that this compiler is related to Microsoft or AMD: it seems to come from multicoreware only.
    And personnally I think that it would be great, it seems to be higher-level than OpenCL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziple View Post
    In fact, I have not seen anywhere that this compiler is related to Microsoft or AMD: it seems to come from multicoreware only.
    And personnally I think that it would be great, it seems to be higher-level than OpenCL.
    I haven't been studying this AMP much, but isn't it pretty much like OpenACC which NVIDIA supports?

Default yes

Quote Originally Posted by caligula View Post
    I haven't been studying this AMP much, but isn't it pretty much like OpenACC which NVIDIA supports?

Quote Originally Posted by caligula View Post
    Not at all. More like OpenCL, except based on C++11, with inline kernel definitions (as lambdas). It's somewhat similar to SyCL, actually.

IMO it would be much better to see working OpenCL in MESA. This AMP stuff sounds really overcomplicated. And Microsoft around? Hmm, no, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
    IMO it would be much better to see working OpenCL in MESA. This AMP stuff sounds really overcomplicated. And Microsoft around? Hmm, no, thanks.
    OpenCL in Mesa is shaping up slowly but steadily. I think that in one year the OpenCL support for Radeon cards will be really correct (OpenCL 1.2).
    There are quite capable people at Microsoft you know. And quite often their APIs are a model: OpenGL NG will be just like D3D12, Gallium has been designed with the D3D11 concepts etc. Like always, marketing decisions are to blame, not engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziple View Post
    OpenCL in Mesa is shaping up slowly but steadily. I think that in one year the OpenCL support for Radeon cards will be really correct (OpenCL 1.2).
    There are quite capable people at Microsoft you know. And quite often their APIs are a model: OpenGL NG will be just like D3D12, Gallium has been designed with the D3D11 concepts etc. Like always, marketing decisions are to blame, not engineers.
    Psst. This is an open source enthusiast site. Therefore Microsoft can't ever do anything right.

In all seriousness, Microsoft's engineering practices have come a long way since Windows 95 and I would honestly say they're pretty good. If I distrust a piece of software, operating system, programming tool, or programming language that comes out of Redmond it's only because of the history of the company's business practices and their tendency to attack open source with patent lawsuits and FUD. The tool itself is often quite good.