Ubuntu 14.10's Lack Of X.Org Server 1.16 Gets Blamed On AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    This pisses me off, this is not the first time technological progress is hindered by AMD.
    AMD keeps doing this shit every time, never having device drivers out in time.

People who don't even have AMD, people with Intel and Nvidia suffers because of this too.
    Wow, ridiculously melodramatic or what. No one is suffering.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      I wonder how many lines of code need to be changed to adapt to the new X ABI for fglrx. Is X that volatile?
      Not sure how it translates to lines of code, but there's a list of what changed in the ABI here: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ay/042271.html

Comment

What exactly is the problem there? Do the Xorg guys change their API for each release? Why are driver changes necessary at all?

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
          Then there must be something broken in Ubuntu, I have exactly the same card and zero problems with Fedora, all open-source. Actually, I just finished Portal 2 with highest settings at FullHD resolution, without a single issue, and that ought to put some stress on the graphical stack...
          What version of Fedora? Last I heard, Fedora had newer open-source graphics components than Ubuntu, and if that holds true, then I would expect a totally different experience. I've had little issue with graphics on openSUSE 13.1 with xorg repo (latest stable stuff), and Arch.

But in any case, I have no idea if games were problematic. All I know is about two weeks ago, web browsing or opening up picture viewer could cause GPU hangs. Didn't try games. The instability I've experienced also only started happening recently (was fine in the past), and I also use oibaf's PPA.

Comment

fglrx is garbage, more at 11

I play all my games on my desktop PC with mesa, just stop supporting fglrx so they will stop developing it and focus on their open source driver.

Comment

yes

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
              What exactly is the problem there? Do the Xorg guys change their API for each release? Why are driver changes necessary at all?
              is one of big problems of x is always changing, i hope wayland and mir works with another way, but the problem here is fglrx and amd

Comment

maybe yes maybe not

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                fglrx is garbage, more at 11

I play all my games on my desktop PC with mesa, just stop supporting fglrx so they will stop developing it and focus on their open source driver.
                maybe or maybe they stop spend money with linux,...

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  I wonder how many lines of code need to be changed to adapt to the new X ABI for fglrx. Is X that volatile?
                  Typically it should just be a matter of a recompile after the ABI bump. Some times there are API changes, but not really something that should take more than 30 minutes to sort. (But I expect the part that takes time is the QA process)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    This pisses me off, this is not the first time technological progress is hindered by AMD.
                    AMD keeps doing this shit every time, never having device drivers out in time.

People who don't even have AMD, people with Intel and Nvidia suffers because of this too.
                    Does AMD force Ubuntu to not update the xserver did they telled them that they would sue them, or why the hell is it amds fault when Canonical is just makes another after 100 ridiculeus desitions.

But this false blaming beside.

I just started laughing how pathetic and ridiculus canonical acts, it gets worse month after month. The new SCO.

No other company Distro is so stupid that they delay their releases for a proprietary external software. So retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                      No other company Distro is so stupid that they delay their releases for a proprietary external software. So retarded.
                      In fairness, it would be kind of idiotic if someone said, "Oh okay let me go ahead and set up the proprietary driver..." and then boom, the system's borked.

Comment

Working...
                      X