Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: AMD graphics doesn't work with AMD Catalyst drivers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    26

    Default AMD graphics doesn't work with AMD Catalyst drivers

    Hi guys
    From 7 days I'm trying to run my 2 graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 Vapor-X and Sapphire R7 250 Ultimate. I'm using Xubuntu 14.04.1 and trying to install 4 versions of Catalyst drivers. But none of it was loading up after reboot. I don't know what is going on now.
    Here is my spec: http://paste.ubuntu.com/8161292/. Could some1 help me because nVidia cards are working properly od this configuration.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    46

    Default

    AMD graphics doesn't work with AMD Catalyst drivers
    Tell me something new? It has been like this for the past 5 years. Seriously.



    Well, I had a look at your uploaded file and I noticed this:

    Code:
    OpenGL
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAPE VERDE
    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.1.3
    Are you using **CATALYST** (AMD Proprietery driver) or **RADEON** (Open source driver)? You said you are using catalyst, but this says that you are using radeon drivers.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I was installing fglrx and fglrx-ccc, kernel modules are generated and after restart it doesn't work. It is very strange cause in Xubuntu 13.10 all was working fine with Radeon HD 5750.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    Tell me something new? It has been like this for the past 5 years. Seriously.
    Hehe yeah this is like stepping back in time a few years when people actually expected Catalyst to work.

    To any Linux newbies here, the solution for a loong time now has just been not to bother with Catalyst and just make do with the open-source drivers.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default

    1. Download the latest beta drivers from official AMD website (current drivers support kernel up to 3.13, newer kernels require special patch).
    2. Generate *.deb (if you will see some problems at this step, just check logs from "/usr/share/ati").
    3. Install *.deb files and run "sudo amdconfig --initial -f"
    Thats all! I use ATI/AMD drivers since 10 years and didn't have any problems with installation process.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nadro View Post
    1. Download the latest beta drivers from official AMD website (current drivers support kernel up to 3.13, newer kernels require special patch).
    2. Generate *.deb (if you will see some problems at this step, just check logs from "/usr/share/ati").
    3. Install *.deb files and run "sudo amdconfig --initial -f"
    Thats all! I use ATI/AMD drivers since 10 years and didn't have any problems with installation process.
    The 'generate .deb/.rpm' option never ever worked for me.

    Installing directly to the system from the .run file always worked though. Odd.

    *Edit: That worked for me until Fedora 20, where the distribution decided to ship Gnome 3 on EGL instead of the standard OpenGL. Now no proprietary drivers work on my machine anymore, and I don't have any desire to build a full Gnome 3 desktop from source with EGL disabled, so I'm stuck with the open drivers like it or not.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    The 'generate .deb/.rpm' option never ever worked for me.

    Installing directly to the system from the .run file always worked though. Odd.
    You have to install required packages for generate *.deb files.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •