X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    January of what...? 2011?

They're working 343.x now.
    Which is a beta release and you know it. Only long-lived branches get in the archive, and 343 isn't one. 340 will be next, don't know what's blocking it.

Comment

hawaii support

So ubuntu will backport hawaii acceleration support to kernel 3.16 or if they don't i can't still use open source radeon driver

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        January of what...? 2011?

They're working 343.x now.

I generally don't bake my own beard though. I find the off-the-shelf beard to be just as easily shaveable as my own home-baked beard.
        good luck on that....
        the new drivers destroy compiz making it flicker everywhere:
        Nvidia 334.21 makes the UI jearky, googled and found this on Nvidia forums: "This looks like a problem caused by the system compositor not properly waiting for X rendering to finish before performing OpenGL rendering in response. The GL_EXT_x11_sync_object extension was designed to solve this problem, but it looks like cogl (the back-end library used by GNOME's compositor) doesn't use it yet. " more details: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/690704/linux/-334-16-parts-of-the-ui-rando...

Theres a ppa to fix it but they cannot upstream it due to license issue with nvidia.
        untill this is fixed no new drivers will be on ubuntu's archive.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
          good luck on that....
          the new drivers destroy compiz making it flicker everywhere:
          Nvidia 334.21 makes the UI jearky, googled and found this on Nvidia forums: "This looks like a problem caused by the system compositor not properly waiting for X rendering to finish before performing OpenGL rendering in response. The GL_EXT_x11_sync_object extension was designed to solve this problem, but it looks like cogl (the back-end library used by GNOME's compositor) doesn't use it yet. " more details: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/690704/linux/-334-16-parts-of-the-ui-rando...

Theres a ppa to fix it but they cannot upstream it due to license issue with nvidia.
          untill this is fixed no new drivers will be on ubuntu's archive.
          How surprising to see a compiz bug marked High -> Triaged. I'm sure it'll be fixed sometime in 2025.

This is why I remain on 11.04 on my daily driver. Yeah it sucks to have outdated software and security vulnerabilities, but unlike my 12.04 machine it actually works.

And I assume by "license issue" they're referring to Canonical's CLA.

Comment

Nvidia priprietar drivers, novueau

Im used standard 331.xx from oficial repository. But auto install/detect not function in Ubuntu 14.04.00-01 for Nvidia 750Ti. I instal with Synaptic. Or 343.xx
            Broken is nvidia driver version 340.xx with this card.

Nouveau have actual version, but with kernel 3.15 and higher no functional acceleration. (Both Mesa 10.1 or 10.4)

Comment

This is also blocking acceleration on newer nvidia chips (where glamor it's the only acceleration available) with nouveau, since requires 1.16:

Comment

Some movement:

xserver-xorg-core v1.16 landed in devel-proposed

That means that the core binaries of the X-server are finished and we have to wait for all the other parts to be rebuilt against 1.16

Enabling devel-proposed isn't recommended as it can make your computer unbootable. Trying to install xserver-xorg-core now makes you lose some small pakages like ubuntu-desktop and xorg...

Comment

Originally posted by Smask View Post
                  Some movement:

xserver-xorg-core v1.16 landed in devel-proposed

That means that the core binaries of the X-server are finished and we have to wait for all the other parts to be rebuilt against 1.16

Enabling devel-proposed isn't recommended as it can make your computer unbootable. Trying to install xserver-xorg-core now makes you lose some small pakages like ubuntu-desktop and xorg...
                  Odd, I'm using 1.16 from https://launchpad.net/~canonical-x/+...untu/x-staging on 14.10 for like two weeks now without a single issues.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
                    Odd, I'm using 1.16 from https://launchpad.net/~canonical-x/+...untu/x-staging on 14.10 for like two weeks now without a single issues.
                    You're using the PPA. My post was about 1.16 moving towards general release. A PPA is an optional archive where the maintainer is resopnsible for making the PPA work.

Comment

Originally posted by Smask View Post
                      You're using the PPA. My post was about 1.16 moving towards general release. A PPA is an optional archive where the maintainer is resopnsible for making the PPA work.
                      I was referring to your comment "Enabling devel-proposed isn't recommended as it can make your computer unbootable", since it works well for me and that PPA is maintained by Canonical.

Comment

Working...
                      X