Canonical Has Yet To Land X.Org Server 1.16 For Ubuntu 14.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
    I was referring to your comment "Enabling devel-proposed isn't recommended as it can make your computer unbootable", since it works well for me and that PPA is maintained by Canonical.
    Yes, but even if Canonical maintains the x-staging PPA doesn't mean that the contents of the PPA will move into the main repo. They might drop the contents of the PPA if they find that it's broken beyond recognition. The PPA is updated softwares that aren't in the main repo and those softwares are bolted onto the distro, if it needs quick and dirty hacks, so be it.

Stuff that are built in the PPA are compiled to work with a certain distribution. Stuff that are built in the proposed repo are the new version and other stuff in the distribution will have to be rebuilt to work with the new parts.

Devel-/utopic-proposed is a intermediate repository, i.e. a place to put packages that breaks other packages and only move it to main when all dependencies are met. And it's a repo where some betas live until the full version is released, like firefox beta builds.

Before I went to bed yesterday, various driver parts landed in proposed.

Comment

And today I could install it. Synaptic wanted to yank libglamor0 (that's the old, external glamor lib, right?) and the SIS graphics driver (I don't have any SIS-cards)

I haven't tested it more than making sure that the GUI started OK. And then I were off to work.

Comment

Working...
      X