Canonical Has Yet To Land X.Org Server 1.16 For Ubuntu 14.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjaalton View Post
    depends on oibaf, it's compatible with the main repo which is what counts..
    Looks like it is, it even solved a bug which I had with Steam: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=83234

Comment

hm

i hope they put x 1.16 out... if you have amd use the open driver.

ubuntu really miss something, some official ppa with stable mesa drivers, with 14.04 i have 10.1 or 10.1.3 (to old), rom intel installer 10.2.2 (not to old but not working with bumblebee)

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
        Is this PPA compatible with Oibaf PPA?
        Yes, it should be. I am just waiting to upload ddx to avoid breakage when xorg 1.16 will be pulled.

Comment

Ubuntu also disables OpenCL, which is enabled in debian:

P.S.: this article appared just after I added this post :

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            hell look at the proprietary drivers they ship with. they're like years old.
            Where do you get this information? Ubuntu 14.04 shipped with Nvidia 331.38, which came out in January, so was 3 months old at time of Ubuntu 14.04 release. And the opensource drivers match the kernel it ships with, which is only a month or two older than the release. Do you just make things up or do you actually believe this? Do you wear a tin foil hat by chance? Bake your own beard? Only drink out of a carefully hidden well in the woods? Avoid vaccines due to worry of mind control drugs?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              Where do you get this information? Ubuntu 14.04 shipped with Nvidia 331.38, which came out in January, so was 3 months old at time of Ubuntu 14.04 release. And the opensource drivers match the kernel it ships with, which is only a month or two older than the release. Do you just make things up or do you actually believe this? Do you wear a tin foil hat by chance? Bake your own beard? Only drink out of a carefully hidden well in the woods? Avoid vaccines due to worry of mind control drugs?
              January of what...? 2011?

They're working 343.x now.

I generally don't bake my own beard though. I find the off-the-shelf beard to be just as easily shaveable as my own home-baked beard.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                January of what...? 2011?

They're working 343.x now.

I generally don't bake my own beard though. I find the off-the-shelf beard to be just as easily shaveable as my own home-baked beard.
                Nvidia progressed from 331 to 343 in ~9 months. Most of that occurred after the Ubuntu 14.04 release. Where is this evidence of year old driver now? I'm waiting to see it.

Nvidia Release Dates

Also, I meant bread, and you know it.
                Last edited by dh04000; 30 August 2014, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Doesn't unity run on top of compiz as a plugin? I use a combination of compiz + rox + cairo-dock as my DE and after upgrading my gentoo system last weekend I was experiencing stability problems with xorg 1.16 and nvidia 343. The steam client window seemed to be setting it off but I'm sure there would be others. I rolled back to 1.15.1 and 334.21, respectively. They may be experiencing something similar.

It makes me sad to see instability introduced into my setup since I hadn't updated for about 15 months prior and my system was unbelievably stable. I had uptimes of months at a time only broken by necessity (shutdown when moving, shutdown after the full system was updated (6+ months that time)). Since the downgrade though everything seems to be peaches again.

Comment

manjaro hasn't put xorg 1.16 in their repos due to some regressions, so maybe ubuntu devs are afraid about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                      Nvidia progressed from 331 to 343 in ~9 months. Most of that occurred after the Ubuntu 14.04 release. Where is this evidence of year old driver now? I'm waiting to see it.

Nvidia Release Dates

Also, I meant bread, and you know it.
                      Yes, I will acknowledge that I know that you know that I knew that you meant bread.

But Ubuntu's driver situation is a trainwreck regardless of the bread.

To get the latest one you have to hop through the xorg-edgers PPA which is annoying because you have to constantly disable / enable it so that you don't accidentally upgrade some other package. X-swat has been, essentially, abandoned for any sense of practical use. 331.89 does not support 750 / 750 Ti IIRC. How do you even get Ubuntu running on that card without tearing your hair out? And xorg-edgers is done supporting 12.04 LTS so if you're on that release you're left to use nvidia's super-user-friendly .run installers.

Compare to the situation in the 10.04 - 11.04 days when you would automatically get the new driver update within a day of it being posted if you simply had X-swat enabled.

In terms of the user experience, we have a clear regression here.

But we did get a couple new lens and scopes and I hear the Ubuntu Phone project is the wave of the future... someday... soon... after 99% of the world is on Android.

Comment

Working...
                      X