The Fastest NVIDIA GPUs For Open-Source Nouveau With Steam Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fastest NVIDIA GPUs For Open-Source Nouveau With Steam Linux Gaming

Phoronix: The Fastest NVIDIA GPUs For Open-Source Nouveau With Steam Linux Gaming

Earlier this week I ran a 20-Way Radeon Comparison With Open-Source Graphics For Steam On Linux Gaming and that was followed by looking at The Most Energy Efficient Radeon GPU For AMD Linux Gaming. The tables have now turned as we benchmark a variety of NVIDIA GeForce GPUs using the latest open-source NVIDIA driver article.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think doing these nouveau benchmarks of cards that can not be fully reclocked is a waste of time. The conclusion that you should not use nouveau if you care about performance just needs a quick look at the clock frequencies and no lengthy benchmark. The only benchmark that would perhaps be useful is a measurement of the power consumption when idle/ doing non-3D work (and comparison to nvidia driver).
    The only good use case for the nouveau driver I can think of is for older cards (before all CPUs had internal graphics) when the PC is not used for gaming and you just need to get an image. And in this case you do not care about these benchmarks but about low power consumption.
    If you have a high end or relatively new card, you normally use it either for GPGPU or gaming and therefore are using the nvidia driver and do not care if nouveau would give you half the performance or 10% of the performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Lysius View Post
      I think doing these nouveau benchmarks of cards that can not be fully reclocked is a waste of time.
      The tests are done since 1. there are people using Nouveau 2. people request such benchmarks and read them 3. applies some public pressure and attention for NVIDIA or other organizations to get more involved 4. alerts those to thinking Nouveau is in better shape than it is for gaming...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I am actualy impresed... kinda...
        i expected it to moustly not even launch the game :P

i own a gts450 and its just a complete mess when using 3d, we're talking like you can move the mouse every 10sec.
        if you have a gtx650 it seems fine for some games accourding to this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
          I am actualy impresed... kinda...
          i expected it to moustly not even launch the game :P

i own a gts450 and its just a complete mess when using 3d, we're talking like you can move the mouse every 10sec.
          if you have a gtx650 it seems fine for some games accourding to this.
          Yeah, me too.

The conclusion that they don't match up with the radeon OSS drivers is pretty obvious, but if you look at the scores you are generally getting 60+ fps results on nouveau.

That's pretty darn usable right now, even if it isn't nearly as far along yet as the competition.

The main concern i would have with the driver is just whether or not it would even run on my hardware.

Comment

Working...
          X