Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice Ported To 64-bit ARM (AArch64)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
    Is there a port for MIPS yet?
    Answer to your question

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      How about they work on polishing the entire suite and gut out the remaining Java?
      Java is needed just in Base - which is not really interesting for most of people anyway.

Perhaps, focus more on OpenCL to work towards an HSA enabled solution?
      Perhaps, perhaps not..

The defaults for the color picker seem to be designed by someone on LSD 24/7. The choice of presets for colors are moronic.
      I think someone on LSD 24/7 is just perfect to pick colors...

Really? We have to wait until 4.4 to get something that should have been in 0.1?
      Yes.. poor users - just imagine all the "carpal tunnel syndrome" LO caused because of this.

While we're waiting, show keyboard universal bindings for cut/copy/paste combinations [CTRL+X/CTRL+C/CTRL+V] or [Command+X, etc] in the submenu. It's standard HIG practice to have those visible to remind folks you don't have to live solely by the mouse.
      Oh universal like in Firefox or MS Office, I see. What do you say? They don't show it either.. blasphemy.

Seriously? What's next? Linux will require an OpenGL 4.x mininimum GPU to run it?
      No no.. not 4.0 - it will probably just be 3.0.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        BTW i'd be all over a light, nicely designed AArm64, Coreboot, Linux, feature full Foss GPU driver, HiDPI screen, 16gb ram, fast SSD, looooong baterry life laptop. Hope someone makes it.
        I second this.

Comment

As i said before there are still people that need x86. Mainly those using proprietary apps. And companies that make them are slow in general. We still don't have proper FOSS solutions (or industry standard apps if you prefer) for many things (CAD, Video Editing, Math).

BTW i'd be all over a light, nicely designed AArm64, Coreboot, Linux, feature full Foss GPU driver, HiDPI screen, 16gb ram, fast SSD, looooong baterry life laptop. Hope someone makes it.
          I doubt that will appear in the near future. The thing is

- you need arm64 because the apps are getting slower and more bloated. You need enormous amount of power now to fire up even simple apps like calendar. The hw requirements on my Android for calendar / email are much higher than on 64-bit desktop (!) Yet the apps are much simpler and have less features (e.g. no gpg plugin in std android email app)
          - coreboot - not in proprietary laptops
          - linux - probably will run next gen android
          - foss gpu driver - nope
          - hidpi - ok
          - 16gb ram - soon there. the android phones have 4gb now for fart apps and calendars
          - fast ssd - nope, the data will be stored in cloud
          - loong battery life - the battery will not be replaceable since this is more profitable. also the battery life won't be better than now thanks to all the accumulating bloat

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

- you need arm64 because the apps are getting slower and more bloated. You need enormous amount of power now to fire up even simple apps like calendar. The hw requirements on my Android for calendar / email are much higher than on 64-bit desktop (!) Yet the apps are much simpler and have less features (e.g. no gpg plugin in std android email app)
            - foss gpu driver - nope
            - hidpi - ok
            - 16gb ram - soon there. the android phones have 4gb now for fart apps and calendars
            - loong battery life - the battery will not be replaceable since this is more profitable. also the battery life won't be better than now thanks to all the accumulating bloat
            Well it was just wistful thinking. A chip that seems like a good base for what i asked is nvidias 64 bit arms.

Comment

Originally posted by vadix View Post
              Intel isn't really doing well in mobile (power efficiency), which is what everybody is using these days. The only conclusion you can make is that ARM is going to overtake them. Microsoft, Apple, and Google all have ARM platforms and they are trying to integrate all of them around common binaries (PNaCl, .NET, LLVM, etc). It seems obvious that AArch64 is going to be a big deal in the near future. We might even see 32-bit arm be a big deal, but I think all the 64-bit hype is going to push things in that direction (even if it isn't a good idea).
              The soon to be released cortex a17 looks to be fantastic. It's performance is supposed to be at a15 levels (not sure which revision), but power draw be a nice improvement.
              AT reported that ARM is claiming a 20% power reduction (on a race to sleep basis) vs. the a9, while a 60% performance increase overall.
              BTW, that's an arm-v7 chip, so, yeah, 32bit should be a "big deal" even in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

- foss gpu driver - nope
                - hidpi - ok
                There are a few good foss gpu drivers, and more WILL happen as android moves towards board standards like uefi/acpi.
                The built-in battery is much more about maximizing the size of the battery than profit...or at least you can make that argument as easily since samsung doesn't seem to charge less for their flagship phones than htc.
                What do you mean "The hw requirements on my Android for calendar / email are much higher than on 64-bit desktop"? Even the highest end arm chip is about half as fast (per core) as four year old i7-2500K (completely ignoring the 32/64bit distinction as that's not too important for this purpose).

Comment

Well it was just wistful thinking. A chip that seems like a good base for what i asked is nvidias 64 bit arms.
                  Won't have coreboot (probably), nouveau not in great shape, and no idea about battery life (that transmeta optimization step isn't free, and it's only worthwhile for often used codepaths).

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
                    Which is?
                    AMD64 on Windows

Comment

Why is it difficult to compile LibreOffice on a different arch?

If a program compiles on one 64-bit architecture it should not be a major task.

Comment

Working...
                      X