Intel Launches The Core i7 5960X, Mighty Powerful Haswell-E CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    It's not about whether it'll destroy the AMD CPU (which is a given, I'm sad to say), the question is whether it is at least 4x times more powerful to justify the 4x increase in price over the AMD one.

Especially when you can't claim the whole "it'll win out eventually in your electricity bill!" because there are several models of the AMD 8-core that use a 125w tdp (they're not the high-end models, but still...)
    Those 'not high end models' are one of the best price/performance that you can get, period, and even better value than the FX-8350.

Like, 8 cores, a little slower than the FX-8350, and for about $75 to $100 less if you get it on sale.

Comment

I'm kind of curious how fast it could mksquashfs a folder with about ~5GB of data (preferably actual binaries) with maximum xz compression

Comment

???

It's not about whether it'll destroy the AMD CPU (which is a given, I'm sad to say), the question is whether it is at least 4x times more powerful to justify the 4x increase in price over the AMD one.

Especially when you can't claim the whole "it'll win out eventually in your electricity bill!" because there are several models of the AMD 8-core that use a 125w tdp (they're not the high-end models, but still...)
        if you spend 1000$ for a cpu you will not care about yout electric bill lol, this type of cpu is made for benchmarks and enthusiastics,

i have a amd 8 core and a amd 4 core i have a 4770k and other intel cpu, the intel ones works a lot better for games and flash, for daily use i can't notice any diff... if you don't use software who needs a great single core performance amd is not a problem

Comment

It is not 4 times faster. However, it does everything better, including performance per watt and single-thread performance.

Comment

No no no, that a very noobie and wrong opinion about market - prices and performance/quality/everything else never go linear, you have to have many times more more money to buy a top-end thing versus how much money you would need to buy mid-end thing, i.e., i can buy a car that goes 0 to 100 km/h in 6-7 seconds for under 30k $, but comparing that car to bugatti - price increases many, many times (about 50-100 times, depending on country and taxes), but 0 to 100 improves only about 2 - 2,5 times. Of course cheapest things to buy are mid-end things, because even if low-end things are a little bit cheaper, they are much worse, and high-end things costs many times more, because they are currently top things in the world, forget that "linux is free" noobie illusion...

And yes, you better buy top cpu in the world, rather than have money to buy food or pay your electricity bills

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
              I'm kind of curious how fast it could mksquashfs a folder with about ~5GB of data (preferably actual binaries) with maximum xz compression
              Contribute a PTS test. If you do so, please include the other compressors too.

Comment

It doesn't need to be 4x more powerful to justify it. If someone simply needs the fastest cores they can get their hands on, it's irrelevant that AMD has a better price/performance ratio if AMD can't provide the desired performance.

Comment

@ Michael:

If you test it, please do idle power consumption tests. Although I appreciate the core count going up also on the Intel side, the 140 W envelope sounds kinda troubling.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Contribute a PTS test. If you do so, please include the other compressors too.
                    I would probably have to include the 5GB of sample data to compress with the test if I was to do so?

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                      I would probably have to include the 5GB of sample data to compress with the test if I was to do so?
                      Yes, or utilize some Linux ISOs or something....

Here's a few test profile examples relating to compression:

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X