Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment E19 RC3 Shows Off The New Wayland Compositor

Phoronix: Enlightenment E19 RC3 Shows Off The New Wayland Compositor

The third release candidate to Enlightenment E19 is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now if only I could run gnome-session-flashback (gnome-panel) in Wayland and that would be awesome.

Comment

Enlightenment is one of those WMs that looks very nice but is horrible to use.
      Too unixish...

Comment

Originally posted by losko View Post
        Too unixish...
        Not to mention that it is highly unstable. After a lot of years wating for E17 (the new Duke Nukem of the window managers), I tried one of the stable versions and it crashed twice. It probably has something to do with the fact that the "Raster man" is not a programmer, just a hobbyist.

Comment

Too unixish...
          While its true that some parts need polishing (file manager for example) it retains a combinations of good looking and sane (UI/UX wise) that you can't get somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            Not to mention that it is highly unstable. After a lot of years wating for E17 (the new Duke Nukem of the window managers), I tried one of the stable versions and it crashed twice. It probably has something to do with the fact that the "Raster man" is not a programmer, just a hobbyist.
            According to wikipedia he is a software engineer and is working for Samsung and has earlier worked among other thing for Red Hat with gtk.

Comment

Too unixish...
              Enlightenment can't be unixish because it's not following unix principles. It's config files are binaries!

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                Enlightenment can't be unixish because it's not following unix principles. It's config files are binaries!
                files that you can decode/encode from text.

and unlike text files they have a heavily re-used codec library that is used for just about everything and is well tested and fast. the config files are in-memory c structures serialised/de-serialised. by the same token you could ca mysql "un-unixy" because its databases are not plain text files. to deal with the db's you need to go through an interface (sql over a tcp socket). same for the config files (which are kind of little databases) - you go through the user interface, or use a tool already provided to extract to text, edit, then re-insert

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                  stable for the developers who wrote it and test it every day. what you do is don't bother to provide feedback like bug reports with the crashdumps we so kindly automatically collect in ~/.e-crashdump.txt as a log... if we find bugs - we fix them.

as for being a hobbyist - no. i have a degree in comp sci. i've worked as a sw engineer my entire career, and if "it crashed a few times" == "the developers who work on it are just hobbyists" then i guess chrome is made by hobbyists. it incessantly hangs solid for me lately and needs a kill -9 to get it away. but don't worry. it's just made by hobbyists obviously. i've had kernel panics many times over the years. i guess that linux kernel is just made by hobbyists.

maybe you are a hobbyist and know little of software. you know that there's a million lines of code there in efl + e ... and that then relies on 100's of 3rd party libraries on your distribution which every permutation of versions also have their own bugs that can directly influence the stability of stuff on top (like efl and enlightenment). invariably if someone isn't heavily testing your exact permutation of these, stuff comes through. not to mention there are so many compile/build permutations that affect things too- eg you are using the gstreamer back-end of emotion vs the generic external plugin vlc one vs xine... so the video popup preview in e's filemanager may be stable for some and not for others depending on the back-end. if you were a software engineer and understood even a smidgen about it you'd know this and maybe even take a look as to why something crashed. it could also be a bug in efl or e that was not found (rarely used feature or codepath). that perfectly could be the issue and that's why we put crashdumps in logs for you to help us try and find and fix these.

but i guess i'll go back to being a hobbyist. so will the dozens of other developers working on e.

Comment

There are some real opinionated idiots on this site (it's almost as bad as slashdot has become).

I have tried Enlightenment at least twice since 0.17 was stable and It looks promising. The packaging for Ubuntu though looked like it could do with more work.

It hasn't gotten a lot of testing from me as I am a Dvorak typist and not having keyboard layout switching support as good as KDE's really puts me out of my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
                    X