• Time
  • Show
Clear All

never try

never try Enlig

i wil get a chance this weekend, i need a change

Comment

Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
      There are some real opinionated idiots on this site (it's almost as bad as slashdot has become).

I have tried Enlightenment at least twice since 0.17 was stable and It looks promising. The packaging for Ubuntu though looked like it could do with more work.

It hasn't gotten a lot of testing from me as I am a Dvorak typist and not having keyboard layout switching support as good as KDE's really puts me out of my comfort zone.
      yeah. there are some... interesting people... let's say.

well i don't switch layouts except.. once to configure that machine and then it sticks, but the kbd module provides a gadget to display current layout and allow hotswitching between multiple layouts - you add a layout to the list then set up some bindings you like to do it and it should work... you might want to give it a go. the little flag with the kbd layout by default is the gadget - click and set them up - use the gadget to begin with to switch (left click for menu of kb switcher menu and settings). or was this feature actually broken for you?

Comment

Originally posted by raster View Post
        yeah. there are some... interesting people... let's say.

well i don't switch layouts except.. once to configure that machine and then it sticks, but the kbd module provides a gadget to display current layout and allow hotswitching between multiple layouts - you add a layout to the list then set up some bindings you like to do it and it should work... you might want to give it a go. the little flag with the kbd layout by default is the gadget - click and set them up - use the gadget to begin with to switch (left click for menu of kb switcher menu and settings). or was this feature actually broken for you?
        There wasn't a module last time I tried. I shall give that a go. The other really critical feature that keyboard remapping should have (I can't emphasize how much of a difference this makes in my use case) and that is when switching keyboard layouts only the text typing should change keyboard shortcuts (undo,copy,paste) should not be remapped to the new layout. KDE does this with most applications (all Qt applications, Some GTK applications, Blender, Unigine) as keyboard shortcuts are generally designed so they can be used with one hand in a Qwerty layout and this is really important for content creation software where one hand is typically on the mouse or tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by raster View Post
          stable for the developers who wrote it and test it every day. what you do is don't bother to provide feedback like bug reports with the crashdumps we so kindly automatically collect in ~/.e-crashdump.txt as a log... if we find bugs - we fix them.

as for being a hobbyist - no. i have a degree in comp sci. i've worked as a sw engineer my entire career, and if "it crashed a few times" == "the developers who work on it are just hobbyists" then i guess chrome is made by hobbyists. it incessantly hangs solid for me lately and needs a kill -9 to get it away. but don't worry. it's just made by hobbyists obviously. i've had kernel panics many times over the years. i guess that linux kernel is just made by hobbyists.

maybe you are a hobbyist and know little of software. you know that there's a million lines of code there in efl + e ... and that then relies on 100's of 3rd party libraries on your distribution which every permutation of versions also have their own bugs that can directly influence the stability of stuff on top (like efl and enlightenment). invariably if someone isn't heavily testing your exact permutation of these, stuff comes through. not to mention there are so many compile/build permutations that affect things too- eg you are using the gstreamer back-end of emotion vs the generic external plugin vlc one vs xine... so the video popup preview in e's filemanager may be stable for some and not for others depending on the back-end. if you were a software engineer and understood even a smidgen about it you'd know this and maybe even take a look as to why something crashed. it could also be a bug in efl or e that was not found (rarely used feature or codepath). that perfectly could be the issue and that's why we put crashdumps in logs for you to help us try and find and fix these.

but i guess i'll go back to being a hobbyist. so will the dozens of other developers working on e.
          you got >

But anyway. A question.

After you enabled gst1 in E19 is emotion generic playes needed anymore? And if yes where. And can whatever is using it be replaced by gst1? (i am trying to get rid of vlc obviously)

Comment

Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
            There wasn't a module last time I tried. I shall give that a go. The other really critical feature that keyboard remapping should have (I can't emphasize how much of a difference this makes in my use case) and that is when switching keyboard layouts only the text typing should change keyboard shortcuts (undo,copy,paste) should not be remapped to the new layout. KDE does this with most applications (all Qt applications, Some GTK applications, Blender, Unigine) as keyboard shortcuts are generally designed so they can be used with one hand in a Qwerty layout and this is really important for content creation software where one hand is typically on the mouse or tablet.
            the keyboard module shipped with e17 at first release. still there now in git. apps themselves are another matter entirely. e can change the kbd map for the xserver, but it cant change how apps map their shortcuts.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              you got >

But anyway. A question.

After you enabled gst1 in E19 is emotion generic playes needed anymore? And if yes where. And can whatever is using it be replaced by gst1? (i am trying to get rid of vlc obviously)
              generic players is still useful if u like vlc as the back-end

Comment

Working...
              X