Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 38 Now In Beta With Exciting Advancements

Phoronix: Chrome 38 Now In Beta With Exciting Advancements

Google released the Chrome 38 Beta on late Thursday and this newest web-browser version adds in support for new HTML and JavaScript features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

HiDPI

Any progress on HiDPI front? Bug report got silent for some time (https://code.google.com/p/chromium/i...tail?id=143619) but maybe there was some progress?

Lack of HiDPI means google chrome is barely usable (tiny fonts) on high DPI displays under Linux.

Comment

I don't know in Linux, but Chrome 38 finally supports hidpi in Windows!
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I'd wish they'd open source their pepper flash plugin. After Google open sourced their PDF plugin you don't need to extract it from Chrome to use it Chromium anymore since 37.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          I'd wish they'd open source their pepper flash plugin. After Google open sourced their PDF plugin you don't need to extract it from Chrome to use it Chromium anymore since 37.
          Flash is by Adobe and they are obviously evil. Flash itself is evil too.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
            Flash is by Adobe and they are obviously evil. Flash itself is evil too.
            Yeah, from what I know Pepper is Adobe's too. That's what Chrome says at least:
            /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so
            Adobe Flash Player - Version: 14.0.0.177

Comment

Chrome is a memory eating monster. Today I run out of 4GB RAM with just 6 tabs open. Chrome's Process Explorer shows that most of it is consumed by the Javascript on the tabs. Opera Dev. ain't any better either.

Firefox on the other side feels sluggish for me, and many websites fail on it nowadays. Strange that when I find some incompatibility in Firefox nowadays, it seems to happen in Linux only. A few years ago, Firefox was compatible with 99,9% of the websites out there.
              Last edited by teresaejunior; 29 August 2014, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by teresaejunior View Post
                Chrome is a memory eating monster. Today I run out of 4GB RAM with just 6 tabs open. Chrome's Process Explorer shows that most of it is consumed by the Javascript on the tabs. Opera Dev. ain't any better either.

Firefox on the other side feels sluggish for me, and many websites fail on it nowadays. Strange that when I find some incompatibility in Firefox nowadays, it seems to happen in Linux only. A few years ago, Firefox was compatible with 99,9% of the websites out there.
                Hardware acceleration could be memory eater. I have 167 tabs open for just 10.5GB.
                Or rather dont use dev and beta unless you are willing to run into problems

dev4lyfe

Comment

Something is wrong with your setup. I'm running Chromium 37.0.2062.94 (290621) (64-bit) with seven tabs open and it's barely using ~500MB out of my 8GB total (idling at 7GB right now). This is including a Gmail tab (about 2-3x as heavy as most sites), the flash plugin loaded, two extensions, and partial hardware acceleration. Chromium actually seems to be getting more and more memory efficient with newer versions.

Comment

It must be something strange about your setup. My Firefox works well. This is Ubuntu 14 and Firefox I'm using right now. This morning I loaded 93 web comics in tabs all at the same time, and it worked. It was sluggish while loading but after the tabs loaded everything was snappy.

If you're having such strange problems I might suspect it is your plugins such as Flash, Moonlight or Java.

I run Flashblock. If I didn't, 93 web comic tabs would bring my laptop to a complete halt because the Flash plugin on Linux seems to use a lot of memory and run all the time, even in tabs that aren't active. It doesn't seem that Flash is so broken on Windows, for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                    X