Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 190

Thread: Lennart Poettering Talks Up His New Linux Vision That Involves Btrfs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,782

    Default Lennart Poettering Talks Up His New Linux Vision That Involves Btrfs

    Phoronix: Lennart Poettering Talks Up His New Linux Vision That Involves Btrfs

    Lennart Poettering of systemd and PulseAudio fame has published a lengthy blog post that shares his vision for how he wishes to change how Linux software systems are put together to address a wide variety of issues. The Btrfs file-system and systemd play big roles with his new vision...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3NzU

  2. #2

    Default In first!

    Lennart Poettering threads are always interesting spectacles to behold...........


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Lennart Poettering Talks Up His New Linux Vision That Involves Btrfs

    Lennart Poettering of systemd and PulseAudio fame has published a lengthy blog post that shares his vision for how he wishes to change how Linux software systems are put together to address a wide variety of issues. The Btrfs file-system and systemd play big roles with his new vision...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3NzU
    Why doesn't Lennart just build his own distro? It's quite a serious question and would resolve a lot of the bad blood around his work being not-so-warmly-received by users of current distros.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,147

    Thumbs up

    OMG, a proposal for higher-level Linux features that finally involves a modern file system.
    If there is one thing I dislike about Linux (having used BeOS way back, btw), it is that while Linux has many fancy file systems, the feature set is mostly unused by higher-level tools as they are apparently designed to run on file systems from the 1980s.

    BeOS implemented something similar to what many people today know as Spotlight, Baloo, etc. directly on the file system: No extra caches or indexes. Under BeOS it way easy to tell an individual file that a particular app has to open it it was saved as extended attribute.

    If that proposal would come true, finally a new base line for file systems under Linux would be set and then such BeOS-ish features get implemented as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    401

    Default

    i'm guessing anti lennart comitee now hates btrfs and we're at brink of comment flood where ppl ask "why does btrfs needs to be in kernel?". my chips is ready

    Quote Originally Posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
    Lennart Poettering threads are always interesting spectacles to behold...........

    ohhh, dear... this image is so awesome, maybe michael should use this to tag lennart topics.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akdor 1154 View Post
    Why doesn't Lennart just build his own distro? It's quite a serious question and would resolve a lot of the bad blood around his work being not-so-warmly-received by users of current distros.
    You apparently don't know that he works for Red Hat and therefore already builds his own distro.
    Nobody from Debian, Arch, Mageia, etc. has ever been forced to accept code from Red Hat. It's just that those other distributors would then have to work on such technology on their own instead of freeloading Red Hat code which is far more work and probably less fun than flaming on mailing lists.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    You apparently don't know that he works for Red Hat and therefore already builds his own distro.
    Nobody from Debian, Arch, Mageia, etc. has ever been forced to accept code from Red Hat. It's just that those other distributors would then have to work on such technology on their own instead of freeloading Red Hat code which is far more work and probably less fun than flaming on mailing lists.
    Debian does not contribute? Debian has shitload of contributors that do pretty awesome work. you probably mean Canonical?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    inb4 btrfs becomes the required linux filesystem.

    want dbus? you need btrfs!


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Metastasis... the development of secondary malignant growths at a distance from a primary site of cancer...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justmy2cents View Post
    Debian does not contribute? Debian has shitload of contributors that do pretty awesome work. you probably mean Canonical?
    No, I meant Debian. Despite all the flaming during the systemd migration debate, NOBODY stood up and announced an alternative project, not even a prototype. Debian was discussing whether to migrate to Red Hat technology (systemd) or to Canonical technology (upstart).

    The Gentoo devs are not afraid to tackle such tasks (hence OpenRC) but Debian is just a huge crowd of crybabies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •