Metro 2033 Redux Will Hopefully Hit Linux Real Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please explain...
    Probably badly worded. I use open source drivers because there's nearly nothing they can't run. Except the Metro games. The Metro Redux games are the only games that I want to play on Linux but I can't because the radeon driver would limit the experience.

I'm not an open source zealot, but I do try to use/support it where I can. But not to the point where I'd play a gimped version of something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      One of the few games that makes me sad I use open source drivers.

Playing this one on Windows methinks....
      Q: Catalyst blob or Windows
      A: Windows

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
        he need to use opendrivers in linux, he's in favor of opensource but uses windows to play games lol some ppl my god, ""i'm only use opensource with my linux, fuck you nvidia, etc..." but in end of day use windows
        [..]
        Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        Q: Catalyst blob or Windows
        A: Windows

LOL
        If you use opensource drivers, you can support their development by submitting bugs, do a little debug and so on...
        Man, is not that hard to understand...
        Last edited by kokoko3k; 28 August 2014, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Hey i was just kidding
          I'd like to use the opensource drivers too but sadly x-plane does not work and performace is still too far behind catalyst for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Vidar View Post
            Curious. Why not?
            You'll get a better performing game by targeting the platform directly, not an abstraction layer written by asshats that clearly do not give a flying fuck about supporting that platform. I find it sad that you have to target the abstraction layer written by asshats on linux just to future proof your game against people like Lennart Poettering and whoever thought removing oss emulation from the kernel was a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
              Please explain.

"You're sad that you use open source drivers" means you're not happy with the fact that you're using open source drivers.

Alright... If you are not happy with using open source drivers but you decide to use them anyway, it could either mean someone or something is forcing you to use open source drivers, or you lack the ability or competence to install proprietary drivers.

It could also be that you are following a philosophy or a principle which states that one should use open source drivers. In this case, do you use open source drivers on Windows as well?
              I won't speak on behalf of kaprikawn, but in my case I use radeon rather than Catalyst simply because radeon is more stable despite being lower in OpenGL version. My experience with Catalyst on a laptop with dual GPUs:
              * iGPU no longer works with Steam (something related to DRI no longer being available or something).
              * vsync doesn't work at all no matter what option you select in Catalyst control panel.
              * No DRI_PRIME support or anything similar. You have to restart X everytime you switch GPUs.
              So, I decided to sacrifice some performance and GL features for the peace of mind provided by the open source driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                Hey i was just kidding
                I'd like to use the opensource drivers too but sadly x-plane does not work and performace is still too far behind catalyst for me.
                Because of this?

Comment

50 USD. Quite much for a redux. At least if you own the original game.
                  The latter was an okay game. It was huge in terms of atmosphere, definitely. But the actual game..., say reduced to game mechanisms, well, it was very very linear. Like running on a rollercoaster with a lot of nice wallpaint.
                  Unless they really worked on that linearity I won't spend AGAIN 50 USD for some graphic polishing.

If somebody doesn't own it yet and likes the dark and gloomy atmosphere it might be well worth to consider a purchase. Would like to see it outsides Steam, too, though. (e.g. on gog DRM free)
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    The latter was an okay game. It was huge in terms of atmosphere, definitely. But the actual game..., say reduced to game mechanisms, well, it was very very linear. Like running on a rollercoaster with a lot of nice wallpaint.
                    Unless they really worked on that linearity I won't spend AGAIN 50 USD for some graphic polishing.

If somebody doesn't own it yet and likes the dark and gloomy atmosphere it might be well worth to consider a purchase. Would like to see it outsides Steam, too, though. (e.g. on gog DRM free)
                    That is stupid yes, however they did have a "special" early on where if you had the normal non-Redux versions in your Steam library, you got a 50% discount.

What pissed off many gamers though was when they fucking dropped Tux from the store page. Gamers found out the release date was only for the Windows version and not for the Linux version. Several gamers canceled their pre-orders at that point, not wanting to donate for a game when they were left in the dark about and had no clue when it was coming to Linux, and felt lied to by being told a release date that wasn't for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post

I added it to my wish list, got a mail once the price dropped to 19.99 USD and bought it (even though I purchased the original Metro the day the Linux version was released).

- Gilboa
                      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                      X