Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Metro 2033 Redux Will Hopefully Hit Linux Real Soon

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,138

    Default Metro 2033 Redux Will Hopefully Hit Linux Real Soon

    Phoronix: Metro 2033 Redux Will Hopefully Hit Linux Real Soon

    The Metro 2033 Redux game was released yesterday to US gamers and while we've known a Linux port was in the works it looks like its release isn't too far off...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3NDE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    42

    Default

    This (or Last Light Redux) might be the first game to utilize full OpenGL 4.4. I really hope so.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    232

    Default

    One of the few games that makes me sad I use open source drivers.

    Playing this one on Windows methinks....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vidar View Post
    This (or Last Light Redux) might be the first game to utilize full OpenGL 4.4. I really hope so.
    I think they'll target 4.1 since OS X isn't capable of more.
    https://developer.apple.com/opengl/capabilities/


    Digital Foundry: "Any thoughts on SteamOS? You have Last Light on Linux now running on an older OpenGL, but I understand you have a more advanced version in the works..."
    Oles Shishkovstov: "Yes, the original Metro Last Light Linux port was based on OpenGL 3.2 - it was stable but did not support high-end features. For Redux we are essentially replicating the DX11 version, with almost one-to-one correspondence in features. The downside of that approach - the GPU should be at least OpenGL 4 'core profile'."
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-platform-game

    Metro:LL also was based on OpenGL 3.2 which was the most you could get out of OS X at that time (10.8.5).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Jesus, Apple are slow.

    Is the game even coming to OS X? I though it was just Windows and SteamOS (Linux)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vidar View Post
    Jesus, Apple are slow.

    Is the game even coming to OS X? I though it was just Windows and SteamOS (Linux)
    Once you have an SDL based Linux version, the relative workload to port to OSX (or Windows) is insignificant and silly not to put in just for whatever added sales you might get.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zanny View Post
    Once you have an SDL based Linux version, the relative workload to port to OSX (or Windows) is insignificant and silly not to put in just for whatever added sales you might get.
    You'd have to do a lot of meth to think that SDL on Windows is a good idea.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    You'd have to do a lot of meth to think that SDL on Windows is a good idea.
    Curious. Why not?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    One of the few games that makes me sad I use open source drivers.

    Playing this one on Windows methinks....
    Please explain.

    "You're sad that you use open source drivers" means you're not happy with the fact that you're using open source drivers.

    Alright... If you are not happy with using open source drivers but you decide to use them anyway, it could either mean someone or something is forcing you to use open source drivers, or you lack the ability or competence to install proprietary drivers.

    It could also be that you are following a philosophy or a principle which states that one should use open source drivers. In this case, do you use open source drivers on Windows as well?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Porto
    Posts
    250

    Default no

    Quote Originally Posted by M1kkko View Post
    Please explain.

    "You're sad that you use open source drivers" means you're not happy with the fact that you're using open source drivers.

    Alright... If you are not happy with using open source drivers but you decide to use them anyway, it could either mean someone or something is forcing you to use open source drivers, or you lack the ability or competence to install proprietary drivers.

    It could also be that you are following a philosophy or a principle which states that one should use open source drivers. In this case, do you use open source drivers on Windows as well?
    he need to use opendrivers in linux, he's in favor of opensource but uses windows to play games lol some ppl my god, ""i'm only use opensource with my linux, fuck you nvidia, etc..." but in end of day use windows

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •