Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    That is correct .

There is no regression, thing is called hyperz which is disabled by default because it is unstable in some situations - cause GPU lockups .
    You can enable it if it is stable for you.

But there are some new patches on ML about the metter Marek posted recently, which can make hyperz slightly stablier, less artifacts prone and even more faster than it is now .
    You evidently just ignored what I said completely. HD6450 SHOULD NOT be getting this low performance on the open source drivers. Stock Ubuntu 14.04 gets 30 fps + on TF2 fairly easily, but here it's getting less than half that, same for Counter-Strike: Source. I never did anything regarding HyperZ, updated kernels nor updated mesa/xorg when I had the 6450 installed, particularly since Ubuntu 14.04 it's always had fine performance "out of the box" in nearly every Source game. The only one I can't speak for is Dota 2. The only way the performance could be this low is through a regression or a problem in the benchmark, fact, nothing else.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Nice tests.
      Things I'd like to see are specifics about perf lvls, especially when the cards aren't running at their max. I'd also still like to see those tk1 power draw figures.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        Hi Michael,

Nice tests.
        Things I'd like to see are specifics about perf lvls, especially when the cards aren't running at their max.
        If the Radeon DRM driver exposed that information over sysfs it could be easily querieable by PTS, like it is for Intel and Nouveau. Well, PTS can read some of it via what Radeon exposes to debugfs, but for most ubuntu kernels that isn't user readable by default.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ModplanMan View Post
          You evidently just ignored what I said completely. HD6450 SHOULD NOT be getting this low performance on the open source drivers. Stock Ubuntu 14.04 gets 30 fps + on TF2 fairly easily, but here it's getting less than half that, same for Counter-Strike: Source. I never did anything regarding HyperZ, updated kernels nor updated mesa/xorg when I had the 6450 installed, particularly since Ubuntu 14.04 it's always had fine performance "out of the box" in nearly every Source game. The only one I can't speak for is Dota 2. The only way the performance could be this low is through a regression or a problem in the benchmark, fact, nothing else.
          Are you sure you don't have a gddr5 HD6450?

Comment

Anyone else noticed how Michael always answers posts? He must read every single thread. And considering the quality of most posts on Phoronix I fear for his mental health.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              Anyone else noticed how Michael always answers posts? He must read every single thread. And considering the quality of most posts on Phoronix I fear for his mental health.
              I wish I had time to read every thread... Unfortunately, I don't.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                I wish I had time to read every thread... Unfortunately, I don't.
                That's obviously proof you don't read all the posts otherwise you would never have said that.

Comment

Originally posted by ModplanMan View Post
                  I did not ignored your said, just suggested how you might improve performance . BTW. we don't know:

1) Did you run this particular benchmark?
                  2) Is it on the same resolution?

And if you have gddr5 6450 model, you are safe to add overall +30% performance on top of ddr3 6450 model results... If that is the case, then that basically have nothing to do with a driver, but with nature of hardware
                  Last edited by dungeon; 28 August 2014, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    If the Radeon DRM driver exposed that information over sysfs it could be easily querieable by PTS, like it is for Intel and Nouveau. Well, PTS can read some of it via what Radeon exposes to debugfs, but for most ubuntu kernels that isn't user readable by default.
                    If radeontop's able to extract relevant information, so can PTS.

Comment

Originally posted by sthalik View Post
                      If radeontop's able to extract relevant information, so can PTS.
                      IIRC, radeontop needs to be run as root. If PTS runs as root, it can query it over debugfs too right now since it can read it then.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X