Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MenuetOS Updated With SMP Threads & Onscreen Keyboard

Phoronix: MenuetOS Updated With SMP Threads & Onscreen Keyboard

MenuetOS, the operating system written in Assembly and now primarily focused on 64-bit x86 systems and fits on a 1.5MB floppy disk image, is out with a new release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would have been better to just start with GEMDOS. At least you'd have a prayer of software compatibility with *something* out there.

Comment

Regardless of the current package support, this is still a VERY interesting project technically speaking. A floppy sized OS with modern hardware support and learning all aspects of an OS in ASM. You jsut dont hear of things like this. Puppy et al can't come close in size.
      Hi

Comment

Don't forget the http://kolibrios.org which is opensource (forked from MenuetOS which is not opensource anymore)
        Also had new release 25.08

Comment

Awesome

I used this several years ago a few times and it was blazing fast and very pleasing to work with. If it had things like Pidgin, Steam, other useful Software and maybe even Wine support; I'd be all over this quicker than you could say Dependency Conflict.

Comment

I didn't even know about it!
            Pretty interesting!

Comment

This abomination(!) is a perfect example how bloated and on steroids even the OSes written in C are..

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
                This abomination(!) is a perfect example how bloated and on steroids even the OSes written in C are..
                I was thinking the same thing. I guess until recently the ever increasing speed/power/cost ratios of hardware were simply forcing dev's to not bother with minimising their file and package size footprints, and just ship a product before it came 'redundant'. Game's obviously topp that particular list. This OS reminds me of those 'scene' demo's crew's like Farbrausch did in the 90'sand 00's. And yeah this OS seems rather old in of itself. Commendable effort for one person. And apparently there's a fork from 2004.
                Last edited by stiiixy; 27 August 2014, 07:33 AM.
                Hi

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
                  It might be if it had anything close to feature parity as opposed to not even having a dream of being close. Keep in mind you're saying this about something that just got smp support, only supports the FAT filesystem and otherwise is well... primitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    It might be if it had anything close to feature parity as opposed to not even having a dream of being close. Keep in mind you're saying this about something that just got smp support, only supports the FAT filesystem and otherwise is well... primitive.
                    "...and fits on a 1.5MB floppy disk image..."

of course I'm not leaving linux for menuet OS but the fact that even after installing linux or whatever OS from a dvd I have to download additional software to make it suit my needs, look at the size difference.. 4gb vs 1.5mb lol

BLOATED!

Comment

Working...
                    X