Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: New GCC 5.0 Changes, Command-Line Options That Landed So Far

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Dear Michael Larabel,

    While a subscriber of the site's RSS feed for some time, I'm now sick and tired of your insincere, bad, unethical, tabloid journalism.

    The clickbait titles, the 'slow news days' with noise in my RSS unread box, the internal links to tags needing hovering to sort from links of ACTUAL RELEVANCE.

    Since despite many people voicing similar opinion as this one, you continue your attempts at "journalism" without taking feedback into account. I'm disappointled since it's the only site of that particularity of OSS news, so can either live with the flaws, or lose information on the subject matter.

    But now I'm tired of it, and of you.

    cheers,
    -sh

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sthalik View Post
    Dear Michael Larabel,

    While a subscriber of the site's RSS feed for some time, I'm now sick and tired of your insincere, bad, unethical, tabloid journalism.

    The clickbait titles, the 'slow news days' with noise in my RSS unread box, the internal links to tags needing hovering to sort from links of ACTUAL RELEVANCE.

    Since despite many people voicing similar opinion as this one, you continue your attempts at "journalism" without taking feedback into account. I'm disappointled since it's the only site of that particularity of OSS news, so can either live with the flaws, or lose information on the subject matter.

    But now I'm tired of it, and of you.

    cheers,
    -sh
    With all due respect, it is only a web site and nothing to get angry about. Sure, one can and one should suggest improvements, but at the same time while you have figured out that it is lacking a bit behind in professionalism, how can you there expect them to care for the wakefulness of your mind? You are simply asking for too much.

    The many self-references in the article makes it look insincere, but the article does contain actual news, too. It is therefore not as bad as you may think it is and no real harm is being done here. It is simply not as good as it could be. It does not make it bad, but only you have lost your reference point. For the same reason do I also see no moral dilemma here to call it unethical. The self-references are at best too much information for those who read here frequently. Well, and to call it tabloid journalism would you need to show that they are doing it to blur and to obscure facts, which I am not seeing being done here either.

    What would have been nice, and this is a different matter, is how well the compiler does in its current state. It is one thing to recite the Changes file, another to criticise the actual development. The later requires a whole lot of knowledge over compilers, standards, testing and who is being affected it. It sure is not something one can scribble up in a summer hole.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    22

    Default

    sdack wrote:
    > With all due respect, it is only a web site and nothing to get angry about

    Of course. Are you implying that i'm angry because of rss unsubscription of the site? For the record, that's not the case.

    > You are simply asking for too much.

    No, no. This is all the bare minimum for a 'news site' considered remotely respectable. The same's implicitly "fulfilled" by many random blogs that are on my RSS list.

    > It does not make it bad, but only you have lost your reference point.

    No. I haven't lost one. My field of work, expertise, remotely a hobby, requires me to stay up to date with new gimmicks. Kernel changes are something I might want to backport to my phone, similarly.

    Reddit and HN aren't _as_ deceptive and annoying in their clickbait, 'slow news days', etc.

    > I also see no moral dilemma here to call it unethical.

    In the context of journalism, that's by the implied standard procedures of what journalism is, whether amateur or licensed.

    > Well, and to call it tabloid journalism would you need to show that they are doing it to blur and to obscure facts, which I am not seeing being done here either.

    It's not unmarked internal references that made me consider Phoronix a tabloid, I haven't said that.

    For the purpose of tabloiditude of Phoronix, things to point out:

    - clickbait
    - intrusive ads, especially on mobile
    - sometimes stories about drama on LKML et al. given weight (any, at all, really), instead of stuff that's relevant
    - lack of rigor and misleading simplification in technical news. They're either abridged copy-pastes or paraphrasing without knowing enough techically, by the submitter, to paraphrase without actually skewing facts _TOWARD_ the territory of Fox News debate of evolution. Not that it's in the Fox News territory, but mlarabel lacks technical expertise on _some_ technical subjects he emits words on.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sthalik View Post
    Dear Michael Larabel,

    While a subscriber of the site's RSS feed for some time, I'm now sick and tired of your insincere, bad, unethical, tabloid journalism.

    The clickbait titles, the 'slow news days' with noise in my RSS unread box, the internal links to tags needing hovering to sort from links of ACTUAL RELEVANCE.

    Since despite many people voicing similar opinion as this one, you continue your attempts at "journalism" without taking feedback into account. I'm disappointled since it's the only site of that particularity of OSS news, so can either live with the flaws, or lose information on the subject matter.

    But now I'm tired of it, and of you.

    cheers,
    -sh
    Funny that you have so much criticism towards Phoronix, and yet you chose to soil a thread about GCC 5.0 with completely OT messages.
    DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB, GTX780, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711.
    SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F20/x86_64, Dell U2412..
    BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F20/x86-64.
    LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F20/x86_64.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Whatever your sense of humor might be, I fail to see your point.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sthalik View Post
    - clickbait
    - intrusive ads, especially on mobile
    - sometimes stories about drama on LKML et al. given weight (any, at all, really), instead of stuff that's relevant
    - lack of rigor and misleading simplification in technical news. They're either abridged copy-pastes or paraphrasing without knowing enough techically, by the submitter, to paraphrase without actually skewing facts _TOWARD_ the territory of Fox News debate of evolution. Not that it's in the Fox News territory, but mlarabel lacks technical expertise on _some_ technical subjects he emits words on.
    You have to explain some of these. What exactly do you see as clickbait?

    I am using AdBlockPlus for as long as it exists and it does the job for me. Advertisement is not something you can blame a single web site for. It is as old as news papers themselves are and everyone is free to do something about it or to accept it as it is. I already hated it before there was a WWW and when flyers fell out of magazines and I had to bend down to pick them up from the floor. Advertisement is just how many people make their living. I am sure you have accepted it for yourself or found a way to deal with it by now. It cannot be something that only now has turned into an issue for you.

    Drama, as annoying as it can be when oneself is involved, can be entertaining, too. It should only not be the cause for more drama. I enjoy it, when it does not get too much or too colourful. However, more importantly is that drama has often been the source of changes, or as one says, "where there is smoke, there is fire". When people are unhappy with a situation and it leads to a drama then this needs to be mentioned. It would be bad journalism if one wanted to deal with drama by ignoring it.

    I do agree with the lack of rigor though. I wish it had more criticism than praises here on Phoronix. I can praise a product myself, but I cannot always be critical or sceptical about it. For example when I have to rely on it and I need to live with it because of a lack of alternatives, then there is simply little point in spending time on criticism. Maybe do what I do. I see Phoronix as a summary of what goes on and quality never comes in quantity. That said, there is worse out there. If you know of any better than share it, please (for the sake of everyone).

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sthalik View Post
    Whatever your sense of humor might be, I fail to see your point.
    Cheap shots are bliss, obviously! It is something you could in theory blame Phoronix for as well, because the many short articles tend to promote bliss in people, but it is still up to us what we make of it.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    22

    Default

    As for adblock, yes, it's a must. Still, not on mobile, as Chrome doesn't support it. Also white background with mobile user-agent must be caused by hatred for AMOLED displays. Whyyy?

    > What exactly do you see as clickbait?

    Misleading titles, exaggerating 'newsworthiness' of the event.

    < Drama [...] can be entertaining, too.

    Yes. If it contrasted with the rest of the news items, woulda been a different matter. It's just a bullet point on reasons why Phoronix is a tabloid blog.

    > I do agree with the lack of rigor though. I wish it had more criticism than praises here on Phoronix.

    Yes. This.

    > Cheap shots [...] It is something you could in theory blame Phoronix for

    Unless mr. Larabel gets more feedback on how the stories are bad, he's gonna continue in his existing ways. Another laughable thing is his frequent "I-statement"/"I-reference" usage. My own bug tracker responses, or email to friends/acquaintances has better prose the sod's blog with ads all over. Is he a native speaker?

    > For example when I have to rely on it and I need to live with it because of a lack of alternatives, then there is simply little point in spending time on criticism.

    Nonsense. Making the guy change his ways on the site is an alternative. It's a not a corporation or anything, so getting him to notice third-party perspective isn't a stretch. In any case actual reasoned criticism, more than merely "it sucks, fsck you" is bad, negative, or anything else of what you claim,

    > I see Phoronix as a summary of what goes on and quality never comes in quantity

    I saw Phoronix as news items that need quick scanning to see if relevant. Noise on a list of 50+ entries when feeling like reeding subscriptions in the first place. That one in 5+ things was actually news in the first place, much less than that relevant for me, that particular reader.


    > If you know of any better than share it, please (for the sake of everyone).

    Few of my subscriptions, no URLs:

    Aras' blog, unity committer who also wrote a glsl optimizer on top of mesa for GLES trash like mobile KGSL
    IEEE spectrum, not that bad for a paywall-operating organization that forced us to deal with their idea of floats
    LLVM blog
    Martin's blog, the kwin dude
    Musing Montoray
    Coverity blog
    Steckdenis, KDE hacker
    The New Old Thing
    Maybe some of the Ghostery, Inc. blogs
    MSFT Visual C++ team blog
    Maybe dsyme msdn blog

    Yours?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sthalik View Post
    Whatever your sense of humor might be, I fail to see your point.
    I wasn't being funny.
    Hijacking threads (say, about GCC) just to follow a stupid crusade (say, against Phoronix) is considered *very* rude.
    I would advise the would be hijacker (say, *YOU*) to post his grievance against Phoronix in the intended place (Feedback forum) instead of acting like a 3 year with zero social manners.

    Or you can continue trolling until an admin kicks you out. Whatever works for you.
    DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB, GTX780, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711.
    SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F20/x86_64, Dell U2412..
    BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F20/x86-64.
    LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F20/x86_64.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •