Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon R9 290: Gallium3D vs. Catalyst Drivers

Phoronix: AMD Radeon R9 290: Gallium3D vs. Catalyst Drivers

After yesterday delivering the first open-source benchmarks of the Radeon R9 290, here's the open-source driver (RadeonSI Gallium3D) vs. closed-source driver (Catalyst) Linux OpenGL benchmarks for this high-end AMD Hawaii graphics card.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"If you have any other test requests please let me know."
    I would be very glad to see a repeat of the Phoronix Hardware Survey, as was conducted on this site several years ago.

Comment

There was no point in this comparission after this one.

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
        There was no point in this comparission after this one.
        For people that want to see just how the performance compares against Catalyst...
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Gallium3D drivers are simply not acceptable for gaming. I feel lucky that my desktop hardware is nVidia with PROPER support. At my HTPC (Ati 2600 GPU) I ended up with Windows to revive my GPU potential.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
            Gallium3D drivers are simply not acceptable for gaming.
            So I am not supposed to be gaming with a Gallium3D driver on an old R700 GPU then?

Because I am, and it works. Gaming covers a lot. Do not act like you own it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              So I am not supposed to be gaming with a Gallium3D driver on an old R700 GPU then?

Because I am, and it works. Gaming covers a lot. Do not act like you own it.
              I am not talking about Humble Indie Bundle. And expressing your experience doesn't make you "act like you own" something.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                For people that want to see just how the performance compares against Catalyst...
                and this is what you said few articles back... NOT READY! http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20809 so... i doubt anyone was interested in seeing this and this was just pointless waste of time

if you do catalyst comparison you should at least use card that works as it should. then include non working ones as it will give better grasp of current situation and what to buy

Comment

Gallium3D drivers are simply not acceptable for gaming.
                  It depends: I played Metro 2033 Last Light @2560x1600 with Maxed out settings with radeonsi.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I am not talking about Humble Indie Bundle. And expressing your experience doesn't make you "act like you own" something.
                    But you were not - you said you cold not game on Gallium3D, which is clearly not the case unless gaming only applies to your strict narrow view. If that is the case, you do feel that you own it.

Comment

Working...
                    X