No announcement yet.

KDE's KWin On Wayland Is Progressing For 5.1 Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this mean they fixed the memory leak or whatever it was that was wrong with KWin? When I was last looking into KDE 5 last week it came to my attention that the new KDE 5 is a resource hog and the developers had isolated the problem being in KWin.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
      Couldn't FF technically just adopt the PPAPI plugin from Chrome and call it a day ?
      Yeah but then they'd have to be working with Google to make the web better as opposed to holding onto their NIH attitude towards anything that's not Javascript.

Comment

I'd like to get on to Wayland fairly early on and start coding for it. I can ditch Firefox if I need to. I'll switch from KDE to Gnome if I have to, although I'd be sad to give up Dolphin, but I do need Eclipse and the JVM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
          I'd like to get on to Wayland fairly early on and start coding for it. I can ditch Firefox if I need to. I'll switch from KDE to Gnome if I have to, although I'd be sad to give up Dolphin, but I do need Eclipse and the JVM.
          This article is about KWin, the Window Manager. Many KDE apps already work on Weston: http://vizzzion.org/blog/2014/07/pla...ad-to-wayland/

So, if you wanted you can use Dolphin on Gnome 3 on Wayland.
          Last edited by CTown; 25 August 2014, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Couldn't FF technically just adopt the PPAPI plugin from Chrome and call it a day ?
            Are you volunteering to do the work required to implement PPAPI support in Firefox? Because I understand that's pretty much the sticking point - nobody is interested in performing a substantial amount of work to support a single plugin which nobody at Mozilla has much love for (go figure, the open-web advocates don't like Flash).

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
              Are you volunteering to do the work required to implement PPAPI support in Firefox? Because I understand that's pretty much the sticking point - nobody is interested in performing a substantial amount of work to support a single plugin which nobody at Mozilla has much love for (go figure, the open-web advocates don't like Flash).
              plus ppapi really is a subset of nacl

Comment

Sure, but supporting PPAPI is probably a boatload more work than simply finishing up Shumway at this point - although likely less risky since we at least know it can work and Shumway is more experimental.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  Yeah but then they'd have to be working with Google to make the web better as opposed to holding onto their NIH attitude towards anything that's not Javascript.
                  Yeah, because if there's one thing the web needs to be better it's more proprietary plugins running native code.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
                    Does this mean they fixed the memory leak or whatever it was that was wrong with KWin? When I was last looking into KDE 5 last week it came to my attention that the new KDE 5 is a resource hog and the developers had isolated the problem being in KWin.
                    That's a really general question and difficult to answer. There are probably dozens of bugs that could cause this and we've got no idea which one you are hitting.

That said, the new decorations are known to be really slow currently, and that will be fixed by the kdecorations2 api they're putting in KWin 5.1 - if that's what you were hitting.

And in general, it's very possible for KDE 5 to be relatively lightweight. It's not XFCE, but people have generally found it to be lighter than KDE 4, at least if you aren't hitting one of the known issues.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 25 August 2014, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      1. You DO realize that goes both ways right? Mozilla has either created, or been involved in creating, several awesome technologies that Google likes to pretend doesn't exist.
                      2. It's not like it's such a simple thing to implement a second API, while still keeping and updating the first. ESPECIALLY not when the second API is designed to work with compiled binaries...
                      3. Mozilla created JavaScript, so I guess their NIH syndrome includes that? :P (More accurately, somebody who worked for Mozilla at the time created JavaScript, and they picked it up and were the first to implement it)

Comment

Working...
                      X