Users defect to Linux as OpenBSD removes Lynx from base system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
    The fact that Lynx still exists and people still expect it to work is unacceptable. It should be burned with fire. I hope every copy of it is literally 0'd out. By using Lynx and expecting anything to support it, you're holding back the rest of the net users who don't wish to be stuck in the 1990's. I like the BSDs a lot, but this is one of the things that it just should not have and I'm glad it got rid of it.
    Au contraire. Reining in the hipsters who would require the latest Chrome beta is a good thing. All web sites should correctly scale down and fail gracefully, allowing low-bandwidth, low-power, and such cases to work. If your website doesn't work in Lynx, you're doing something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
      So that what tools are on the OpenBSD base other then lynx that can be used to download and view HTML pages? Nothing! Exactly.
      The `ftp` command will work fine for my uses. As for browsing web pages, I only ever use firefox anyway regardless of what trollup has been spammed into the base of your average Linux distro.

But as a Linux user, you probably realize that a "base" as such really isnt so important. AFAIK LSB (Linux standard base) is actually much smaller than the base provided by OpenBSD since we effectively (and quite correctly) include Xenocara (X11) and C compilers in ours.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
        Comparing Systemd to OpenBSD is like comparing strawberries to dirt in which a comparison is ridiculous. While Systemd adds features which become necessary due to changing requirements, OpenBSD is trying to clean up the mass of shit it made in the 1990s but it seems that added more of it (OpenSMTPD, LibreSSL, OpenNTPD, OpenShit etc..).
        How pathetic that you have to answer to yourself on the Internet. Do you have no friends in real life, so that you have to come up with fake accounts on the net, so that you can pretend a discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Au contraire. Reining in the hipsters who would require the latest Chrome beta is a good thing. All web sites should correctly scale down and fail gracefully, allowing low-bandwidth, low-power, and such cases to work. If your website doesn't work in Lynx, you're doing something wrong.
          I know you are just making a point, but computers are getting faster. I personally have zero desire to cater to the person who wishes to live in the 1990s, but that's just me. As well, I think it stops being hipster when it's been the majority for well over 10 years.

Comment

I know you are just making a point, but computers are getting faster. I personally have zero desire to cater to the person who wishes to live in the 1990s, but that's just me. As well, I think it stops being hipster when it's been the majority for well over 10 years.
            Once again, as I said before, lynx is used to parse WYSIWYG information from a web page for use in scripts.

Comment

I personally have zero desire to cater to the person who wishes to live in the 1990s, but that's just me. As well, I think it stops being hipster when it's been the majority for well over 10 years.
              If you have zero desire to crater people who hog on to the 1990s, then you should condemn the BSD because that's what BSD essentially is.

Comment

Working...
              X